How long does it take for the liver to shrink....

karlakay
on 3/26/11 3:38 am
HEY BOOMSHEEKA!!  I AM DOING THIS DIET TOO!!  MY SURGEON HAS ME ON A PROTEIN LIQUID DIET UNTIL MY SURGERY DATE 3/31/11.  ALTHOUGH MY SURGERY WAS NOT SET UNTIL THURSDAY SO HE SAID I SHOULD BE O.K. JUST DOING A WEEK.  IT IS SO HARD THOUGH.  I AM SO HUNGRY.  I THINK THE SAVING GRACE IS THAT AFTERWARDS WE SHOULDN'T FEEL A HUNGRY, AS OUR STOMACH WON;T BE AS BIG!!  HANG IN THERE.  WHEN IS YOUR SURGERY?  I AM IN VIRGINIA, HOW BOUT YOU?
mrstuttle09
on 5/30/11 12:52 pm - MA
 i like your post. and a lot of what you said makes sense to me but i to am having problems complying to my pre op diet. i can drink the shakes and the water and so on but then i get the worst tummy sickness ever, it's like the flu or something so then i eat food. not a lot and no sweets but still stuff that's not on my diet plan. i need help. my date is exactly one week from today. thanks
Tresia S.
on 7/24/14 11:13 am - Italy, TX
with

See I have a nother way of looking at it. If you can lose weight 30 pounds on a diet before surgery, why can't you just keep going instead of getting surgery?  what I mean is, be more understanding about these people are saying they fell off the wagon during their pre op diet. as long as I get back on the wagon right away, it will be ok.Yes it is good to stay on it. But if we had self control we wouldn't be wanting surgery.the surgery enables us you have more self control removing the hunger hormone and making your stomach shrink.so I would say for those of you with no problem dieting for 2 weeks and don't mess up at all maybe you should consider not getting surgery and just trying to lose it dieting since youre doing so good on the diet...I wouldn't be getting this surgery if I had self control and could do a diet on my own.  so for those of you who, like me, slipped up one time on your pre op diet, don't beat yourself up just get back on the wagon right away. But know the importance of saying on it. an idea: you can tell yourself if you're tempted have a protein shake first before you make any decisions. That way once the protein shake hits your stomach and you feel better the temptations not so strong

Thanks!

Tresia :-)  

talgal
on 10/15/17 7:55 pm

I'm not saying this to sound rude but....you can't even compare doing the preop diet to after postop. Preop diet you are on a severely restricted diet with the same size stomach, so you are still hungry with even less calories. Postop you are missing 85% of your stomach and more than likely not nearly as hungry, if at all, as you were preop. So why would you say if you can't stick to it before, how will you after? Completely different situations. Try a little compassion. If this was a cake walk for (most) of us, then we wouldn't need the surgery, would we!

sweet11jesus
on 9/25/13 12:06 pm

I AM HAVING MY SURGERY NEXT WEEK I AM EXCITED FOR THIS WHOLE NEW MAKEOVER FOR MY LIFE, ANY TIPS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

jgoble44
on 10/21/13 4:45 am

I have many of the same thoughts as you guys so it is wonderful that I have found this site. I am having surgery in 8 days and I am totally stressed about the liquid diet. Diet's like this have never worked, but I have never been doing it to shrink my liver for surgery.

And for those who ask, if you can do this before surgery do you really need/want the surgery (I have been asked this myself a few times), not everyone is having this surgery for the sole purpose of losing weight. My reasons are completely different, mine are do to concerns about a hernia and about severe damage to my esophagus. The weight loss is just like a bonus!

Melissa1313
on 3/1/14 3:23 am

I know for me, having NASH I have dropped 25% liver fat in 2 months on Optifast. Hard for the first week I would say but getting accustomed to it after was a little easier. Now saying this, I have to agree with a previous poster asking if you can stick to a liquid diet for a few weeks, how will you make significant changes diet wise AFTER the surgery? Being on the liquid diet has made me extremely aware as to what is good and bad. Been on it for 3 months now a s have dropped 55lbs. I am on this for a different reason than WLS. I am a live liver donor for my father and told throughout this process that I have an extremely fatty liver. Starting off weight was 180, now down to 125 and I have 10% more liver fat to loose until surgery. I also have to say that I was on this during Christmas, which led me to be a little unfaithful to the diet for about 2 weeks. So with a little hardwork and big will power, you can get there. And by doing so you will start to condition your body and mind with what food choices are better than others. The way to start is by educating yourself as to how the body works when flushing fat out of your liver. High carbs, high fat and sugar will not help in any way. Eating complex carbs ( carbs from veggies) and lean protein while completely banning sugar may bring your body into ketosis. It takes different amount of carbs and protein ration for everyone. For example, my daily carb intake is  64g, protein, 108g and fat 28g. This puts my body into ketosis. It's actually quite interesting stuff to read up on, our bodies are amazing!

boomsheeka01
on 3/26/10 10:17 am - Killeen, TX
Thanks Sue! I did mess up on the 1st day, but I have been doing good ever since...this diet is not easy at all! I was only asking this question because I just think its weird how some people only have to do a few days vs 2 weeks.....My hubby and mom are doing it with me so I am actually doing great! Its not easy, but I am ready for this. I am not planning to mess up, and I was not trying to come across like I was. I was just asking out of curiousity. Thanks for your concern!! 
   Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers