chapped lips, fissures -low vitamin level

poet_kelly
on 3/29/10 2:08 pm - OH
My doc doesn't recommend testing for selenium.  It seems most docs don't.  And I take a multi that gives me 100% of the RDA for selenium twice a day, so I think my doc probably just assumes I'm getting enough.  But I think I am going to ask for it next time I get labs done.

Kelly
rbb825
on 3/29/10 3:17 pm, edited 3/29/10 3:17 pm - Suffern, NY
I would be curious to see how they come out.  My multi gives me 160% of RDA plus the extra 200mcg give me another 300% and I am just over the bottom of the level.  So, I get a total of 360%.

kmom1420
on 4/27/10 12:41 pm
K is usually standard on a metaboic profile (potassium).  Just FYI 
Beginning wt 286/ CW 279/GW135    
margaretgiberson
on 3/29/10 10:52 pm - North Augusta, SC
thanks so much for all of the info- I got the medication that the dentist prescribed- did the swish and swallow and put the other prescribed med on my lips and when I awoke this morning -I was almost back to normal- Thank God- it was a shame that I have suffered through this for nine months or more- will take this list of labs when I see him- he has done most all of this except for some of the vitamins- my cholesterol and aic is great!!
Whirlwind
on 3/29/10 8:54 am
Low Zinc will cause fissuring at the sides of your lips.  Be sure you have had one done recently.  Don't just take your doctor's word for it.  Look and see for yourself.  Many docs do not measure zinc.
vitalady
on 3/29/10 1:41 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I understand. My surgeon is also my deity, to a degree.

But when I added some of the tests below, he said, "We don't have problems with ________." and I said, "That's because we've never tested them. But NATIONALLY, we do." so he agreed to baselines, which of course, were not good.

as I learn more, I add more. When I explained to him why we want MMA and homocysteine, he said, "Well, then, run CRP, too"

he respects me or I don't think I woulda gotten his autograph, for sure. LOL

My first draw was 17 vials. The next was 14, so I think they figured how to use some of the vials for more than one test.

But if you only had 8 vials, they're not testing for everything.

My labs are as close to perfect as I've seen and NOBODY has perfect labs. If they do, everything is not being run. Simple.

The thought being, as my own doc said, "We don't have problems with ________" OF COURSE they don't if they never test it!

It's critical to get all your labs since pre-op and track them, Excel or even by hand. Then LOOK AT THEM with your own eyes because nobody cares as much about you as you do.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1374 views