have to take ibuprophen

bskarenf
on 4/24/10 8:37 am, edited 4/24/10 8:39 am
Ok I cant stand it for weeks  and weeks   since my surgery I havent had ibuprophen or advil and I have to say omg  I am so stiff my ankles feet and knees . I ve lost 50 lbs since surgery and I hurt worse then I did before surgery.  I ve called the Barictric Center and asked them to send my lab
results  because  I  ve been trying to walk but I am doing it with such pain and stiffness . 
Does anyone else have this problem?    My legs ach and I started taking magnesium and potassium again.     What does others take when you need advil?  I am 12 weeks out Tuesday.
Not to mention I feel like I m doing something wrong because I ve only lost 50lbs which I feel is good until I see others have lost 68 lbs and higher.  I had rny  feb 2 2010. thanks for any advice

grannymedic1
on 4/24/10 10:43 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
mittenfarm
on 4/24/10 9:00 am - County Line, MI
If you had RNY, no, you cannot take ibuprofen. I don't even take it with my DS even though we supposedly can. It is very hard on the stomach and I don't want to risk what little I have left! If you were talking about a once or twice a year, maybe, but not on a regular basis for joint pain . You would need to take it daily and you can't. Have you tried Tylenol or anything else? Ask your Dr. what he recommends. You may need a prescription for some Ultram if nothing else works. Did you have a lot of joint pain before or is this something new? Hang in there it will eventually go away along with the weight. Mine did. I used to live on Ibuprofen.
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

poet_kelly
on 4/24/10 9:04 am - OH
Darvocet or Percocet.

My surgeon strongly advised against NSAIDS for any reason.  She feels the risk of ulcers is too great.  I know some surgeons say they are OK for a short time if you take some kind of acid reducer with them.  She disagrees, however.

Kelly
MsBatt
on 4/24/10 9:24 am
Oh, darlin', didn't anyone TELL you about this before you had your WLS? After the gastric bypass/RNY, you simply CANNOT take any NSAIDs, because of that big ol' blind pouch left behind when they sectioned off your stomach and created your pouch.

I think it's just criminal that surgeons are willing to do this to people who have arthritis and NEED NSAIDs. With either the Sleeve or the DS, you'd still have a fully-functional stomach with NO blind pouch, and NSAIDs would be no worse for you post-op than they were pre-op.

The only advice I can give you is to ask your doctor for Lidoderm pain patches, and/or Keprocaine cream. DO NOT take any sort of surface cream or patch that contains NSAIDs, and don't let them give youo any sort of NSAIDs by IV, either. (Just as Andrea U.)
rbb825
on 4/24/10 10:21 am - Suffern, NY
I personally don't think NSAIDS are safe for anyone.  I took them preop and got ulcers on 3 separate occasions from 3 different types.  Each time I was told this one is safer than the other.  Once I even took it with cytotec to coat  my stomach.  So, RNY or not, they aren't safe.  Some are luck and can take them but anyone that takes them is gambling with the health of there stomach

MsBatt
on 4/25/10 1:23 am
No medication is 100% safe for everyone. Taking any medication is always a gamble, but the OP apparently had no issues with NSAIDs as a pre-op.
Shell36
on 4/24/10 9:27 am - Napanee, Canada
my advice is to callyour surgeon and ask, I was told I could take them for very short periods of time but to also take Zantac with it. Hope this helps

Heather I.
on 4/24/10 9:38 am
I take vicodin for joint pain.  It only eases pain, but doesn't help with inflammation. Some PT might help with range of motion and stiffness.

hercules411
on 4/24/10 10:04 am, edited 4/24/10 10:08 am
Ask your doctor about a medication (oral) called Ultram.  It is a non-narcotic pain medication that many bariatric patients take for pain/joint issues, and it does not have the ulcer risk associated with it that the NSAIDs have.

Tramadol (Ultram, Tramal) is a centrally-acting analgesic, used for treating moderate to moderately severe pain.

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Tramadol:

Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; nausea; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Tramadol:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); agitation; chest pain; difficult or painful urination; disorientation; fainting; hallucinations; irregular heartbeat; loss of coordination; mood or mental changes (eg, depression); red, blistered, swollen, or peeling skin; seizures; severe dizziness or lightheadedness.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/tramadol-side-effects.html#ixzz0m49 GZVCk
Max wt. 500+  WLS workshop  4/6/09 440 Surgery  9/21/09  324   9/21/10  218
Save $4 on Obesity Help magazine subscription using promo code: HERCULES
www.obesityhelp.com/store/action,addtocart/itemId,1/pcode, hercules /

Most Active