throwing up bile!

Jackie McGee
on 4/26/10 1:15 am - PA
True honest-to-goodness bile is green or a dark yellow-brown.

A lot of people think that the nasty non-chunky stuff they throw up is bile, but that's a common misconception, although vomit can contain acids that are found in bile, so it can taste kind of the same. Hope that makes sense without actually being bile. Hope that makes sense.

Bile is secreted by the liver and stored in the gallbladder - when I had my gallbladder removed, I had stones that were blocking the (some kind of) duct and I did in fact throw up bile and due to that, I had to have a scope done to break up the stones that were left after the gallbladder removal.

If you throw up to the point that you are actually throwing up bile, something is wrong, and that warrants a visit to your doctor or a trip to the ER to figure out what's wrong.

I've just spent the last ten minutes on Google trying to find a picture of bile and I give up.

It just isn't a good thing to throw up bile. Not sure what else to add.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

designera
on 4/26/10 1:19 am
I will call my sureon when they open! i had my gallbladder out in 2002.

Autumn

Forever greatful for a second chance!     

Jackie McGee
on 4/26/10 1:25 am - PA
Right, but hopefully you still have your liver ;) Definitely call someone.

spoiledrotten
on 4/26/10 5:30 am
Just got home froom the surgeons office and he had me get a upper GI series done and then go to his office he was waiting for me. I was informed that I must have a revision of the RNY they are just going to be removing the ulcerated portion of the stomach and intestines. He said my pouch will be smaller but it will be made of healthy tissue and acoording to him all of my problems will be gone!

He did inform me that bile can back up into the pouch .

Jackie McGee
on 4/26/10 6:40 am - PA
Only when something nasty is happening ;)

I'm glad they figured it out and I hope you feel better soon.

designera
on 4/26/10 9:59 am
Glad hear things are better for you and they are going to fix the problems. I called my surgeon this morning as soon as they opened. I told them about the flu and how I had some yellowish substance come up. They nurse said it is normal to throw up and then there be a small amount of yellowish bile. If you are throwing up more than once, at one time then there could be a problem. But it can happen on seperate occasions and everything is okay. Thank God...ya'll had me freakin out! LOL! Better safe than sorry!

Autumn

Forever greatful for a second chance!