Vitamin B-12....sublingual or shots?

Ellio82
on 5/4/10 6:45 am
What are your thoughts? Why did you choose to take it the way that you take it?  Has anyone started one way and switched?

I am taking them sublingually.  I actually quite like the way they taste and it's way more convenient than going in for a shot every month.  But I'm concerned about lack of absorption. 

Max:  290
Pre-op: 282
Goal: 165
Current: 183

Andrea U.
on 5/4/10 6:59 am - Wilson, NC
In most patients, there is no better absorption between shots and sublinguals.

However, you must use your labs as your guide as not everyone responds the same as a study suggests.

Many of the grads, however, find shots to be cheaper as they give them to themselves.
vitalady
on 5/4/10 2:55 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
What she said, exactly.

If our docs won't write the rx for weekly shots, most of us have ways to get the B12 elsewhere and still do shots weekly.

Labs tell the tale.

Even without insurance, it's still cheaper to do shots. Something like $20 yr, depending on how well you shop for syringes and stuff.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

lbsadropping
on 5/4/10 7:06 am - Crofton, MD
Shots, if insurance will cover.  No pain and easy on the 15th of each month
poet_kelly
on 5/4/10 7:36 am - OH
I started out with sublinguals but they made me nauseous.  I switched to the patch and that seemed to work well for a while but then my B12 dropped so I switched to shots.  Personally, I find shots most convenient.  Costs me about $1.25 per shot and I don't go in every month for my shot, I do them myself at home.  But that's just a matter of personal preference.

Sublinguals absorb well enough, at least for most people.  If that's what you prefer, that's what you should use, unless your labs indicate it's not working well enough for you.

Kelly
Ellio82
on 5/4/10 9:54 am
 Thanks all.  I haven't had labs yet, but will be getting them this week.  I wanted to get y'all's perspective before meeting with my doctor.

Max:  290
Pre-op: 282
Goal: 165
Current: 183

poet_kelly
on 5/4/10 10:11 am - OH
Get a copy of the lab report for your records.  For B12, you want yours to be about 1000.  The lab report will list the normal range as something like 211-911, but that's too low.  Below 550, people get symptoms like depression and fatigue.  Below 400, people get permanent nerve damage.

Kelly
mariarturner
on 10/24/14 8:36 pm

I hate shots. I take vita4min b12 sublingual tablets from vita4life. They offer the vitamin b12 in methycobalamin form that does not need any further conversion by the body and is directly absorbed. They tablets are relatively small and dissolve under two minutes making it easy for me and no lack of absorption.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/24/14 11:20 pm - OH

Did you really search the archives for a FOUR YEAR OLD post just to do an ad for that vitamin brand?!?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

mariarturner
on 10/27/14 9:50 pm, edited 10/27/14 9:51 pm

No... I am new here. I don't do any type of ads. I was sharing my experience on a thread i came across, I thought it might help others.

Most Active