Does 75 degrees feel freezing cold to you?

hercules411
on 5/24/10 7:55 pm, edited 5/24/10 7:57 pm
I started losing weight even before my RNY in September and began feeling chilly in air conditioned rooms back then.

Today I made the mistake of wearing short sleeved shirt to work and didn't bring a jacket.  I was practically shivering and the thermostat read 75 degrees. I had to step outside into the 86 degree sunshine to warm up.

Yet I remember when I used to have the opposite problem. When I weighed 500 pounds I would suffer in 86 degree "heat"... And it seemed to get worse if I ate certain foods or drank certain liquids.

Now, I don't remember what those foods or drinks were. 
I wonder if it was "fat".. "carbs" or "protein" rich foods that caused me to warm up.. and can I use that information to "warm up" now if I eat those same foods?
Max wt. 500+  WLS workshop  4/6/09 440 Surgery  9/21/09  324   9/21/10  218
Save $4 on Obesity Help magazine subscription using promo code: HERCULES
www.obesityhelp.com/store/action,addtocart/itemId,1/pcode, hercules /

RAD
on 5/24/10 8:10 pm
yes....i'm always cold and i'm over 4 years out.....just take a sweater or something to keep at work at all times....that's what i do...

Ruth Ann 

Mountain Mama
on 5/24/10 8:15 pm - Evansville, IN
I'm the same way.  I used to have to keep the thermostat at the house on 70 - 72 to be comfortable on those 90+ degree days.  Today, it was on 76 and I was quite comfy.  At least it will save money on my cooling bill this Summer. 

Pre-Op  3 mos. post op  5 mos. post op  At Goal  Surgery Date - 12/10/2009  Goal Met -8/26/2010

NancyJ
on 5/24/10 8:34 pm - Porterville, CA
I've been cold for years now. Ever since I lost the weight. My doctor says its normal. I wear long johns and try to keep warm in winter, can't seem to do anything some days to keep my feet warm. In the summer I wear 3/4 sleevs with capri pants and do pretty good, but I always carry a sweater. I have to have one to go into the grocery store no matter what season. In winter I sleep with a heating matress pad on the bottom and a heating blanket on top and it keeps me warm. Summers here get pretty hot 105+ but I'm feeling like it is in the 80's, I guess that is a plus. You are doing so well with the weight loss I would just figure out what keeps you warm and go with it. Blessings, Nancy
rbb825
on 5/24/10 9:27 pm - Suffern, NY
I know many people are cold post op, I am the opposite, I am always warm.  You might want to get your iron, ferritin, CBC, TSH and Total T3 levels checked just as a precaution.  It could be your thyroid or iron levels.  Can't hurt to check it out.

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/10 10:40 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
You've lost all your insulation!!

I would keep a sweater at work, and maybe drink something hot when you want to warm your core.

Enjoy one of the benefits of WLS--this summer, when it's 99 degrees F, you'll be cool as a cucumber!
(deactivated member)
on 5/25/10 5:30 am
i am always cold too. i used to always be hot could go out in the winter snow in shorts and be fine. now im the opposite the other day it was 83 degrees out and i was in the house under a blanket. it drives my husband nuts now he would have sweat pouring down and he is a skinny little thing and i am freezing. i even am cold getting out of a tanning bed now its crazy. doc told me same thing its just because i have lost my insulation lol. i suppose its a good thing since we are due to be stationed down south this fall the old me would have died from the heat and never left the air conditioned house now maybe i can enjoy the outdoors again there.
schenwhit
on 5/25/10 5:36 am - long Island, NY
RNY on 03/23/10 with

I am the same way.  Before I lost weight I had to keep my house at 70degrees.  It funny cause I had to take cold showers because hot or warm showers just made me hotter when I got out and I would start sweating.  Now I am always cold.  Even when it was 85 out side . I had on a sweater but was not hot or cold just comfortable, beat that.  Before I'd be trying to shed all clothing. lol

Nicole Schen-Whit    
How could you have such a good life like me if there wasn't a God directing?

dbyarbro
on 5/25/10 6:01 am - Cypress, CA
I am always cold, and my hubby is the opposite.  I would love to be warm at some point, I feel like I am nuts when I am wearing a sweater and others are in shorts and tank tops.  I am to the point I cant wait for those famous hot flashes!!!! 

Denise
 Read about my journey on UCLA's Bariatric Website:
 http://bariatrics.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=47&ref=11&action=detail

293/255/199/165/142    Highest Wt/Surgery Wt/GOAL #1/Goal #2/Current 
GOAL #2 REACHED-March 3, 2010, Breast Reduction-Sept 9,2011

tmjuarez
on 5/25/10 6:33 am - Arlington, TX

I have ALWAYS been a  "hot-natured" person, but since my weight loss with the band and now with my RNY, I am ALWAYS so cold. I have a sweater at my desk at work and a blanket, a sweater in my car! i live in Tx and it gets very hot here in the summers and I still find myself chilly. It really doesn't bother me because I know I am losing my "insulation"!

charlene1
on 5/25/10 7:44 am - Wilmington, NC
Someone else said you've lost your insulation. Must be a true statement as my husband tells me that all the time. I carry a light weight sweather with me everywhere as I'm always cold. I have a little space heater in my office at work and it runs most of the time.

You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be -----David Viscott      
Missy N.
on 5/25/10 10:51 am - Kalkaska
Charlene- I am just like you.  I have a light sweater I can wear when I get cold, and at work I have my little space heater which is on every day.  I am cold all the time.  It has been in the high 80's this week, and I am loving that I am finally not getting cold, at least at home.

Missy       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
HW 260 SW 249 (1/20/10)  CW 134
1st GW 150 (reached 8/29/10) 
2nd GW 135 (reached 12/1/10)
I really don't have another goal weight. :)

tinkerbell025
on 5/25/10 7:57 am - Fargo, ND
I am always cold! I have not given up my sweather yet. Yesterday humid as heck I was outside with long sleeves and a sweater and finally felt warm. Friday I RAN a 5K and didn't break a sweat, everyone else came in with sweat pooring off them. I kept looking at them wondering why they were sweating, it wasn't that hot! LOL I forget I am NOT the normal one in that area.
Welcome to my world
Kelly/tink
Maintaining! Start weight 257,Current weight 122,Loss of 135# and 114 inches,Size 22-24W now size 4 to 0 (zero),Healthy life=Priceless

www.onetruemedia.com/shared
ANGIE0502
on 5/25/10 10:06 am
Same here.  I'm always cold now.  It started about a week after surgery (when I got home really).  The hospital was so warm I didn't notice.  My hands are the worst.  Thank God dear husband is a furnace I can snuggle up to.  He doesn't even mind my cold feet. 
Angie
"Assumption is the root of many problems"

LindaScrip
on 5/26/10 2:38 pm
I wear a sweatjacket at work and when its really cold I have the hood on and people walk by me like I am nuts and in the winter I sleep in flannels, heated mattress pad, electric blanket, blanket and down comforter where as before I was tossing off the covers not now.  Its cold! And when I ride Cassidy in the winter its 2 sets of thermals, wool socks flannel lined jeans, sweatshirts, flannel shirts, down vest, down jacket, insulated boots, scarf, fleece lined gloves and a riding helmet and I can barely walk in that but too cold to care and everyone calls me the pillsbury dough-girl by the time I am on the horse but hey I am warm then. So hell yes its cold.
sheilapowershill
on 5/27/10 2:27 pm
Hi Herc. Its so funny to me that we have such similar thoughts and feelings! You would think as the opposite sex we would have totally different experiences...but no! I almost always relate to your posts! Umm...gotta go get a sweater! BRRRRR...