The Great Sugar-Free Popsicle Binge: How It Began, How It Ended

Mara57
on 6/7/10 3:58 pm - Santa Rosa, CA
I wrote this for my blog, Constant Craving--thought I would share it here on OH.

A couple of months ago, I purchased a 20-count box of sugar-free frozen treats: Popsicles, Creamsicles, and Fudgesicles. I ate them sporadically but enjoyed them, especially the Fudgesicles. The box lasted several weeks. At times I worried a bit about eating them, but the nutritional stats on them are pretty good. Plus, I wasn't even eating one a day.

When it was gone, I purchased another box. There were only two Fudgesicles in the box and I could swear that there had been more in the first box. I felt ripped off, deprived. And that's where the trouble began.

I've been going through the second box at a much faster clip than I did the first. Sometimes two Popsicles in a sitting... but hey, I rationalized, they are only 10 calories each, and they help me meet my daily intake of liquids. A weight loss surgery patient must stay hydrated.

Still, I could not forgive the lack of Fudgesicles in the box. When I found a box of twelve sugar-free Fudgesicles in my local market yesterday, I snapped it up... why don't I just get a box of only Fudgesicles, I thought... well, I ate four in short order. Then four more by the end of the day. Two this morning, and the remaining two this evening. A dozen Fudgesicles gone in about 36 hours. And they are 35 calories each.

I saw what I was doing and it was frightening behavior. 

Luckily for me, I had my Vipassana meditation group tonight. I realized during my time of mindful awareness--I was even plotting a run to the store for more Fudgesicles during the early part of meditation-- that I had better start exercising my "resistance" muscle a bit more, instead of my "giving in" muscle (thank you, Beck Diet Solution!). In that moment I could choose either course, and which one I chose could help set a pattern for the future. What was my intention, and where did I want to go next in my journey? I wrestled with that a while but by the time I got to my car, I knew...

I was headed home.

sleeve genie
on 6/7/10 4:08 pm - Alhambra, CA
good for you,  but man oh man   they are GOOD,,, lol
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

MrsP
on 6/7/10 5:41 pm - Bakersfield, CA

Oh sugar free Popsicles, how I love thee!! I wish you could buy a box of only orange flavored, I buy the mixed box and pick out all the orange ones, then the grape and I offer the cherry ones to the kids, I also buy those yummy sugar free fudgesicles but really limit how many I have, they sell out fast, so I will buy 4 boxes at a time if Super Walmart has that many, I like having them around for the kids too, they can grab one of those instead of begging for money when they hear that darn ice cream man's truck coming by.

jonathanac
on 6/7/10 5:47 pm - NY
Those all have so many carbs for a no sugar added thing
Highest:454~Surgery:415~Current:227~Lost:227~Goal:220

MrsP
on 6/7/10 6:11 pm - Bakersfield, CA
The fudge ones I get have 19g carbs, but the fruity ones only have 4g carbs. I don't have a fudge one unless the chocolate monster is really after me, it is much better than the king sized pack of Recees pb cups that I use to have.
(deactivated member)
on 6/7/10 7:32 pm - Pakistan
Few months ago, I purchased a 20-count box of sugar-free frozen treats: Popsicles, Creamsicles, and Fudgesicles.The box lasted several weeks. I wasn't even eating one a day.
When it was gone, I purchased another box. There were only two Fudgesicles in the box and I could swear that there had been more in the first box. I felt ripped off, deprived. And that's where the trouble began.
A weight loss surgery patient must stay hydrated.When I found a box of twelve sugar-free Fudgesicles in my local market yesterday,A dozen Fudgesicles gone in about 36 hours. And they are 35 calories each.I saw what I was doing and it was frightening behavior.
In that moment where did I want to go next in my journey? I wrestled with that a while but by the time I got to my car, I knew...I was headed home.
M M
on 6/7/10 9:42 pm
 Hence, why I cannot buy those.

And, because THE GAS!  THE GAS!  THE AWFUL, STINKY GAS!  
(deactivated member)
on 6/7/10 10:09 pm
amazing what a post-op can "binge" on huh? alot different than out binges pre-op. but it deosnt help the guily feeling.
aaaaaaa
on 6/7/10 10:35 pm
 "but hey, I rationalized, they are only 10 calories each, and they help me meet my daily intake of liquids. A weight loss surgery patient must stay hydrated."   LOL!!  I LOVE this rationalization!!  Hydration goes right to the top of my list when I have these bars in my freezer!! :D

Tinkers107
on 6/8/10 12:39 am - Dyer, IN
I love them, but had a bad dumping episode on them so no more for me.... :(

Erika

Example 1

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1370 views