Calling on Pebtash
56sunShine14 · 0 replies · 43 views
WEDNESDAY GRATEFUL POST
Vivian Prouty · 0 replies · 27 views

Cramping after VSG- please help!!

purple_orchid
on 7/24/10 5:30 pm - Clovis, CA
HI friends,
I got my VSG on 7/21/10 (5 days ago).   My doc only allows water/crystal light and protein shakes for the first two weeks.  After EVERY tiny sip of water, protein, or liquid vicodin, I get an intense cramping in my stomach within 2 minutes, and it lasts for only a few seconds.  None of my WLS friends have experienced this and I'm kinda freaked out.   I do have BM's several times a day- water consistency.
Feedback and prayers appreciated!  Thanks
starting 301/ day of surgery 259

vixmom0715
on 7/24/10 5:47 pm
Call your doctor right away
purple_orchid
on 7/24/10 6:10 pm - Clovis, CA
snowbaby
on 7/24/10 6:13 pm - Durango, CO
VSG on 06/08/10 with
I had some cramping for the first two weeks - it eventually went away.
      Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

purple_orchid
on 7/24/10 6:17 pm - Clovis, CA
I'm currently waiting for the on-call nurse to contact my surgeon and call me back.  However while waiting, I found this other thread via Google, and it has eased my mind greatly:

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/post-operation-vertical-sleeve-gastric-surgery-vsg-questions-answers/4829-stomach-cramps-after-drinking.html

NursieGirl
on 7/24/10 6:23 pm
I had extreme cramping for the first few days after surgery, but I was still being treated, and so was given fluids via IV to rest the sleeve and allow it to heal, and my nausea to resolve.

purple_orchid
on 7/24/10 6:54 pm - Clovis, CA
Thanks everyone.  After waiting on hold for 45 min., the RN said the surgeon didn't think it was anything to worry about and would call me tomorrow.

sleeve genie
on 7/24/10 7:52 pm - Alhambra, CA
i think you should be fine,  your body is in shock from what it went thru and the bms are common,  i didn't have them but LOTS of people do,  they say liquids in liquids out.  Once you start eating it should resolve itself.  I found i wasn't going and so i started taking some fiber and no more problems.  Good luck to you,  remember,  walk and sip, 
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

TheREALYorkiemom
on 7/24/10 8:11 pm - New York , NY
I'm glad your Dr thinks everything is good. I was miserable after my surgery. I had to stay in the hospital a week because my tummy was swollen shut and I couldn't get fluids down. It gets better trust me. Hang in there!

5gruwells
on 7/25/10 8:57 am - Petersburg, VA
I had cramping for a week and a half or so too, much better now. I think our tummies are adjusting to their new way of life

" A fool with a tool is still a fool....."

purple_orchid
on 8/1/10 10:27 pm - Clovis, CA
thanks!  I'm almost 2 weeks out and still on clear liquids only, and the cramping sensation is less frequent but hasn't gone away.  Dr isn't concerned tho