Optifast vs Medifast or something else?

reachinghigher4u
on 7/29/10 6:46 am - Akron, OH
I'm exploring options and want to know if anyone else has looked at the differences between Optifast and Medifast?

I will have 4 wks required dieting prior to surgery and while my Dr is pushing Optifast, I've spoken to others that used other means, such as Medifast. Does it really matter which you use? Is there something else out there that is more cost effective?  I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, I just want to find cost effective ways to approach this.

I'd appreciate hearing all sides on this if anyone cares to weigh in. Truly looking for guidance

thanks!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/10 6:49 am - AZ
Nothing beats plain old Atkins. There is no study showing a low carb liquid diet is superior to a low carb solid food diet and people are far more likely to stick to low carb solids vs. low carb liquids.

Weight loss is good, it burns the glycogen off your liver making surgery easier to do, Atkins is great.
HeatherS2012
on 3/15/12 12:29 pm - Greenville, SC

Before you can have weight loss surgery Dr put the patient on a liquid diet if 4 weeks before although solid food is a better long term way to go this was not what she was asking..I was told the same thing about the omnifast 4 weeks but I am also looking into the medifast because its cheaper

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/10 7:15 am, edited 7/29/10 7:16 am - Santa Cruz, CA
I personally find it offensive that a physician is requiring a patient to use a product that he gets a cut of the proceeds.  I don't know if he is requiring the Optifast, but I believe you could do just as well using any of the good Whey Isolate Proteins that are currently on the market, and at a much lesser cost. 

I personally use the Isopure Ultra-Low Carb Dutch Chocolate, as well as the Syntrax Nectar products which are mixed with water;  these products are available at GNC and online, and they are very affordable for a month's use.  You can get samples of any of these products on sites such as bariatriceating.com , vitalady.com , or any of the others.

If you chose to try the various samples, keep in mind that your tastes will probably change post-op and what tastes good to you now may not be palatable after surgery.

I find that a 3# can of the Dutch Chocolate will last me for six weeks, at the useage of one scoop per day.  It keeps me from getting hungry, and I find that a good thing!

GNC also has other flavors of the Isopure Zero Carb available at most stores.

Good luck.
reachinghigher4u
on 7/29/10 10:36 am - Akron, OH
On July 29, 2010 at 2:15 PM Pacific Time, Lynn N wrote:
I personally find it offensive that a physician is requiring a patient to use a product that he gets a cut of the proceeds.  I don't know if he is requiring the Optifast, but I believe you could do just as well using any of the good Whey Isolate Proteins that are currently on the market, and at a much lesser cost. 

I personally use the Isopure Ultra-Low Carb Dutch Chocolate, as well as the Syntrax Nectar products which are mixed with water;  these products are available at GNC and online, and they are very affordable for a month's use.  You can get samples of any of these products on sites such as bariatriceating.com , vitalady.com , or any of the others.

If you chose to try the various samples, keep in mind that your tastes will probably change post-op and what tastes good to you now may not be palatable after surgery.

I find that a 3# can of the Dutch Chocolate will last me for six weeks, at the useage of one scoop per day.  It keeps me from getting hungry, and I find that a good thing!

GNC also has other flavors of the Isopure Zero Carb available at most stores.

Good luck.
Lynn,
I intend on asking if I'm required to use Optifast only...I know they only list Optifast in their program and while they said they can not force me to buy it there, they did not say there was an acceptable alternative. 
I'm not a big Whey protein fan, I love the Spiru-tein Soy Protein (vanilla and chai) so I want to go that route if possible. I appreciate the lead on Isopure...I've seen it at GNC so I will check that out

thanks again

Lorraine_Z
on 7/29/10 8:00 am - London, OH
I used Medifast for a 3 week pre-op diet.  I lost 25 lbs.  My surgeon was pleased & surgery went fine.

Neither is cheap though I do think Medifast is more affordable.  I did soups & bars.  I did the Medifast in Jan. did not want shakes then! Wanted warm soup!!! Also i like the scrambled eggs & hot chocolate.  I ate 4-6 meals a day.  Had 2 breakdowns where I just had to have real food... ate a small chicken breast & another time shrimp.

Once you get through the first 2-4 days that way of eating becomes easier.  Just remember it is for a few weeks not a lifetime!

I bought some of my food on Ebay.  I even somethings left (though admittedly mostly shakes; some soups) if you are interested send me private message.

Best of Luck on Your Weight Loss Journey!

Lorraine 

(40 lbs. lost pre-op)  

D.I.E.T. = Did I Eat Thoughtfully?  

reachinghigher4u
on 7/29/10 10:41 am - Akron, OH
Thank you Lorraine, I'll be emailing you

poet_kelly
on 7/29/10 8:11 am - OH
Actually, Optifast is very similar in nutritional stats to no sugar added Carnation Instant  Breakfast.  Which I would not really recommend because it's low in protein and high in sugar, but if that's what you want, the Carnation is much, much cheaper. 

What I would suggest is getting a GOOD protein drink.  Like, one that is high in protein and low in sugar.  but if you want something like Optifast, I'd just do Carnation.

Kelly
bamabelle16
on 7/29/10 9:09 am
I was required by my doctor to do 2 wks Optimfast prior to surgery.  I started yesterday and doing OK on this regimen.  Aug 11 is my date.
reachinghigher4u
on 7/29/10 10:38 am - Akron, OH
wow, that is right around the corner Bamabelle!  Excited for you and wishing you MUCH success!! you will do great!!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1320 views