BEWARE OF GASTRIC BYPASS, IT DOES NOT WORK!!!

green123
on 9/27/10 5:31 am
I had gastric bypass surgery 6 years ago and lost most of my weight.  About 2 years ago I almost died from the surgery as scar tissue formed around my small intestines and blocked all food going through.  My small intestine almost burst this was misdiagnosed for a year.  I am happy to be alive but since then I have gained ALL my weight back!  Please, please, please think twice before doing this as there is NO guarantee ( although they say there is) that you will not gain back ALL your weight, cause I did!!  If I had the choice to do it again, I wouldn't!   Because I have different insurance, they won't even help me anymore.  Also, I am at risk again with the scar tissue wrapping itself around an intestine again!  Please find another way to lose weight....one that isn't  FATAL!!!!!  Has anyone else who has had this surgery every gained ALL their weight 100 lbs. back?  Thanks and I hope to hear from you,,,very sad and disappointed!!!!
charleston-mom
on 9/27/10 7:04 am, edited 9/27/10 7:05 am
I'm sorry about what you've gone through, but it really isn't right to post that it doesn't work. For so many people it does. There is no guarantee with any surgery that you won't gain your weight back, including with DS. You can outeat any surgery, and there are possible complications with any of them, even life-threatening complications. However, people can and do die every day from complications associated with morbid obesity (stroke, heart attack, etc.), so that's not the answer either.

I'm so sorry you had this terrible complication. It does sound as if part of your issue was poor medical care in that your complication was misdiagnosed for such a long period and your physicians weren't competent to diagnose what was wrong. That doesn't necessarily happen to everyone. I'm confused though. If you had scar tissue blocking all food going through, how did you gain 100 pounds?

Also, you had surgery 6 years ago - and this is your only post?
acbbrown
on 9/27/10 7:18 am - Granada Hills, CA
Is it really necessary to be that mean?
MsBatt
on 9/27/10 9:40 am
On September 27, 2010 at 2:18 PM Pacific Time, acbbrown wrote:
In what way is the OP being "mean"? She's just sharing her experience.
Generic User_Name
on 9/27/10 9:47 am
mquirkygirl
on 9/27/10 11:04 am - New York City, NY
I'm blocked too and I've never once interacted with that woman.  Does she just block all DS'ers? Dumb *****

5'10", HW: 326/SW: 280/CW: 181/Goal: 165

Generic User_Name
on 9/27/10 11:09 am
mquirkygirl
on 9/27/10 1:11 pm - New York City, NY
LOL.  I guess I kicked another one of her animals, then.

5'10", HW: 326/SW: 280/CW: 181/Goal: 165

manditude
on 9/27/10 3:58 pm
I appear to be blocked too, and I don't even think I've ever talked to her in a thread. So yeah, she probably just saw me as a DSer and blocked me. Lol.... pathetic.

-Mandi
DSFacts
5'1" HW: 360  SW: 337? CW: 132 GW: 130
DS: March 2011, Plastics: LBL+BLA: April 2015

WASaBubbleButt
on 12/2/10 7:28 pm - Mexico
On September 27, 2010 at 2:18 PM Pacific Time, acbbrown wrote:

I didn't see a mean word in her post.  A little over reacting?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1379 views