BEWARE OF GASTRIC BYPASS, IT DOES NOT WORK!!!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/29/10 5:10 am, edited 12/3/10 2:12 am
What study says the RNY " is the MOST successful form of obesity surgery there is with the best combined results for weight loss and a healthy out come", that compared the different surgeries. Please link.

Updated- Of course Jeffrey never found that link because that study doesn't exist, and he hasn't a clue, but here's a link to a study that actually does have this data. Or this one.
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/2/10 7:47 pm - Mexico
On September 28, 2010 at 9:27 AM Pacific Time, Jeffrey E. wrote:
Hey listen. I studied medicine and went to Chicago Medical School. I am more aware than you are of every option out there. RNY is the choice that is best for me and my condition. When you say that "RNY statistically does have a high rate of failure..." you are incorrect. It is the MOST successful form of obesity surgery there is with the best combined results for weight loss and a healthy out come. Of course, all bariatric surgery has risks up to and including death. But in my case the benefits outweight the risk. So unless you have something intelligent and constructive to say, you need not reply.

Jeffrey...

This simply isn't accurate.  If you actually studied medicine then you would know how to read peer reviewed studies and you would realize that RNY has a very high failure rate.  1 in 5 to be exact and let's be clear here, they aren't setting the bar all that high when a success is deemed when you lose a mere 50% of your excess weight.

Bands have the highest failure rate, bypass is 2nd.

I understand you are a newbie and a pre op, I get the emotional factors involved here but posting wrong information is not helpful in the least.

So with all due respect, when YOU have something intelligent and constructive to 'write', feel free.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Elizabeth N.
on 9/28/10 7:39 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yes, your OPINION is just as valid as anyone else's. Including the OP's. So quit whining about a "discouraging blog" and read what you want to read. People SHOULD be scared about WLS. They SHOULD think about it long and hard, get educated, get prepared, and understand that a bad, even fatal, outcome is ALWAYS POSSIBLE.

You could die from having surgery. If you don't understand that, you aren't ready to have surgery.
MsBatt
on 9/29/10 5:43 am
On September 27, 2010 at 7:55 PM Pacific Time, Jeffrey E. wrote:
You know, I am about to have RNY in exactly one week. I have been going to 9 months worth of seminars and have many friends who are sucessfully living with gastric bypass. It saved their lives because they would have died otherwise. There is no other way to lose morbid obesity weight and keep it off except through surgery. Some of my friends are 10 years out. Oh and yeah, one of them is actually 24 years out. She had her surgery back in 1986 when it was called an iliojujenostomy with gastric bypass and she is my wife. Do you see where I am going here? You had bad doctors and I find your post irresponsible.
Ah---is it possible what your wife had was a jejunoileal bypass? ( www.asbs.org/html/patients/jejunoileal.html) I can't find anything named a iliojujenostomy. If so, it's actually VERY different from the RNY/gastric bypass as it's done today.
jimbovsg
on 9/27/10 1:48 pm
    ****!  it doesn't work!  I need to get the 90% of my stomach back and sew it back together! Then I can go back to 580lbs and just "lose it on my own W/ diet and exercise!"   See I know that is the better alternative to WLS  I know I will be one of  the 2-3% that can lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off long term.  And living SSMO (W/ hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, etc)  is certainly less risky than WLS right?  Does anyone know of a great surgeon that will sew my stomach back together?  Oh I forgot I need my stomach tissue back!  Hmmm... maybe I could use a bean bag chair cover as a substitute?  

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

girlygirl1313
on 9/27/10 9:42 pm - Davidson, NC
 I know! My tummy bulk was taken out too.  What about replacing it with pork belly?  Sounds kinda yummy, doesn't it?  Oh **** now I want to eat my new stomach.  I am such a failure!

worstdecisionofmylife
on 9/27/10 11:42 pm - Longwood, FL
By stating what happened to her may save someone else from making the same decision she and I made.  There is nothing mean about it!  Do you really want to hear the truth of just propaganda?  I started researching this surg in 2001 had my surg in 2002 was hospitalized 19 times pronounced dead 4.  By the way his name is Todd Overcash and he practices in Florida.  Everyone, if you are truly doing research on these procedures and these Dr's you have selected then you need to ask your Dr "how many patients of yours have died due to this procedure either directly or indirectly"  If they tell you none or even one start researching them under the AMA there they post all litigation's and deaths caused by Dr's.  Please listen and think how precious your life is, its been 8 years since my procedure I am now on disability for the rest of my life I have developed 9 chronic conditions since my surg.  By the way I am only 45 years old and unlike some I did do the procedure for the right reasons not vanity I am married to the same man since I was 16 years old I have worked my way through college and earned a very good living so I am not preaching things I know nothing of I once was a useful person to society and now I cant pick up my 17 month old grandson if this is what you are willing to take a chance on then by all means go for it if not then learn to love yourself for exactly what you are no matter what you weigh.  Being thin is not a lottery ticket to happiness. 
girlygirl1313
on 9/28/10 12:00 am - Davidson, NC
 Wow, you too?  You had your surgery in 2002 but miraculously just joined up YESTERDAY?

What a coincidence.....

So Blessed!
on 9/28/10 12:39 am
On September 28, 2010 at 7:00 AM Pacific Time, girlygirl1313 wrote:
 Wow, you too?  You had your surgery in 2002 but miraculously just joined up YESTERDAY?

What a coincidence.....

Same date as OP... 
Elizabeth N.
on 9/28/10 1:54 am - Burlington County, NJ
Oh crap, another Overcash victim? :-( I hope you are willing to publish your story far and wide anywhere the names of Overcash and Hoddinott (his "new" partner) crop up. That would be an excellent public service.
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1521 views