confused HIDA scan did not show my gallbladder :(

robinfrommilw
on 10/5/10 3:08 am - WI
confused HIDA scan didn't show my gallbladder at all. I was on the machine for 1 hour after the injection nothing. Then he said to give it another hour come back and we will redo it again. If it shows then we can do the 2nd part of the test

well 1 hour went by and nope it didn't show up so couldn't do the 2nd part of the test. ugh. So what does this mean? Does this indicated something isnt' working properly. I am confused. I want answers and not getting them. All this radio active crap in me and can't see anything. ugh. seem I went thru this test for nothing. ugh.

last week had a ct scan it show nothing either. I believe the dye wasn't all the way in my system is what i got from the report. guess it need more time or just not processing it well. ultrasound show thickening of the gallbladder wall. but didn't show any stones. xray show stool in the intenstines and illeus as well. blood work show high liver enzymes. So not sure what all this means. Now got to wait to hear back from the surgeon assistant. I did call and left a message that they didn't see my gallbladder and confused on what it meant.

Does anyone know what this means or have gone thru this as well.

thanks,
Robin
Robin from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Distal gastric bypass 7/28/09
6 month supervised diet done lost over 50 lbs pre-surgery
My facebook page is:
www.facebook.com/robinfrommilwaukee  (just put that you are from OH in message to add you to my facebook)     
       View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

August 2010 weight 138 lbs lost of 179.5 lbs but gain again since my gallbladder surgery Oct 2010 range recentlly my weight got up to 166 and I was in freak mode. I am now down to 152.6 hoping to get back to 135 and started generic wellbutrin

adkmtngirl
on 10/5/10 3:26 am - Brant Lake, NY
 Robin, 

I highly, highly doubt this pertains to you, but the only person I know of that has ever had anything similar to this was diagnosed with Addison's Disease a few years before she had those symptoms.She's fine now, they did remove her gall bladder though. I'll be very interested to find out what the doctors say, please keep us updated. 
Kristina

So Blessed!
on 10/5/10 3:43 am

I found this on Mayo Clinic website:

Slow movement of radioactive tracer. If the radioactive tracer moves through your bile ducts very slowly, that may indicate a blockage or obstruction.

No radioactive tracer seen in the gallbladder.
If the radioactive tracer isn't seen in your gallbladder, that may indicate inflammation (cholecystitis).

Your doctor will discuss your specific results with you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hida-scan/MY00320/DSECTION= results
KMDominguez
on 10/5/10 3:53 am
It sounds like you may have cholecystitis. When the gallbladder doesn't show up on HIDA, it means that there is a blockage of some sort  (stones or inflammation usually) preventing the tracer from filling the gallbladder.

Your surgeon will review the study, but it certainly sounds to me (a general surgeon), like getting your gallbladder out may be in order.
Katie       Photobucket

k9keepr
on 10/5/10 7:44 am
This exact thing happened to me just in the last week.....the decision was my gallbladder was too full of "sludge" for the tracer to go thru....so now I am having my gallbladder removed in the next week or so. Oh well....guess I dont need it anyway! Especially if it is full of Sludge! So far the only symptoms I am having is tenderness on the right side just below the rib cage and a kick butt backache...Good Luck to you
gastrohelp101
on 12/1/15 2:59 pm

I wish I could get answers, I had a hida scan four days ago and mine didnt show up with the radioactive tracer the first hour so they gave me morphine and it showed up but I didnt get the CCK stuff that makes your gallbladder contract and they called and said my hida scan was normal. Me and my mom are confused cause how are they supposed to know how my gallbladder is functioning if I didnt get anything to make it contract? Im so confused. Ive been having upper right abdominal pain, vomiting and nausea for a month now and I have lost over 7 pounds and they cant find anything wrong with me. My ultrasound was normal, bloodwork was normal, I had an endoscopy today, it was normal.

Hollybear7179
on 3/22/16 5:39 am

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I had the hida scan done and they did the same thing to me. They didn't do the second part bc they didn't want to put thru that pain. But I am having my gallbladder taken our today! Thank god! And I had to travel to salt lake from Las Vegas bc the docs in vegas are soooooo stupid!!! I have the exact same symptoms as you. You need a second opinion. Go and see the doc and demand for a second scan!! You know your body....they don't!  I hope this helps! 

robinfrommilw
on 10/5/10 12:17 pm - WI
Thanks I was freaking out when they could not see my gallbladder. I knew I had one just weird after 2 hours it would not show up not even a trace of it. Well I immediately call the surgeon office his assistant call  me back tonight with the results even fax me the report wow that was fast. It says that I have gallbladder disease. So it needs to come out now waiting on insurance approval also said since I am gaining weight that they should be able to revise my ryn by doing something with the stomach outlet or putting a band on the pouch to make it smaller. I could of stretch it out already at 14 months out. I am up 14 lbs now. I am totally freaking out and I can eat every couple hours always hungry no matter how much protein I take in. I went from 135 to 148.2 yikes. who know it may be up again tomorrow. I was doing so good then boom now i am getting fat again soon I will be in the overweight chart if I reach 150.5 I will be consider over weight again by my bmi omg that can't happen please. I work out every day even just got a treadmill this past weekend. So when I got busy days I can still get a workout at home. I got laser and injections with my bad veins coming up so I can walk on the treadmill after the procedures and when the bad weather I have no excuse that I can't go exercise. Even got my kids working out on it too. They both are obese at age 16 and `13. so hoping this will help them as well.
Robin from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Distal gastric bypass 7/28/09
6 month supervised diet done lost over 50 lbs pre-surgery
My facebook page is:
www.facebook.com/robinfrommilwaukee  (just put that you are from OH in message to add you to my facebook)     
       View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

August 2010 weight 138 lbs lost of 179.5 lbs but gain again since my gallbladder surgery Oct 2010 range recentlly my weight got up to 166 and I was in freak mode. I am now down to 152.6 hoping to get back to 135 and started generic wellbutrin

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1510 views