HOW LONG DO STALLS TYPICALLY LAST?

Samantha S.
on 11/19/10 7:42 pm
Apparently everyone has a stall in weight loss from time to time.

I'm 8 weeks out from RNY and doing great - EXCEPT I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks. 
I'm doing everything I was told to do, but my weight is staying the same.  ARRGGGGG!!!! 

If anyone cares to share, how long did your stalls typically last?

Thanks,
Sam (Ms. No Patience) 
strawberrychic1226
on 11/19/10 8:33 pm - Des Plaines, IL
GM! 
Hopefully we will find out at the same time.I feel my clothes getting looser however.

Tracy
Mountain Mama
on 11/19/10 10:26 pm - Evansville, IN
It can vary per person on how long they last.  I've seen everything from several weeks to several months from others who post about them.

I only had one stall.  It was at 3 weeks' post op and lasted for 22 days.  That was 22 days of not losing ANYTHING.  But when the stall broke, I dropped between 4-5 pounds "overnight". 

I had a few weeks that I might have only lost 2/10 of a pound, but I was still losing, so I didn't classify it as a stall.  But I hit my goal weight at 8 1/2 months' post op and now -- almost 3 months later -- am 10 pounds below my goal.  Seems like my body is just now finding a weight to settle in at and I fluctuate within a 3 pound range.

Pre-Op  3 mos. post op  5 mos. post op  At Goal  Surgery Date - 12/10/2009  Goal Met -8/26/2010

4catz
on 11/19/10 11:22 pm
I stalled at about 7 weeks out for about 2 weeks.  That was the time that my body seemed to adjust and shift and loose inches.  By that time I had increased my exercise but not my calories.  I took someones advice and started increasing my calories by a couple of hundred and staryed loosing an average of 3 pounds a week.  At this time, I am loosing an average of 2 pounds a week and I am happy with that.

Surgery Weight: 275
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/10 11:28 pm - Los Angeles, CA
I stalled about two weeks after surgery, and the stall lasted a little more than two weeks. Since it broke, though, I've been losing a pound a day or more.

It appears the only thing that can break a stall is time (unless you're not following the rules), but just in case this stuff *did* have something to do with my stall breaking, I upped my calories to 800 a day, I got super militant about protein, forced myself to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day (not easy for me), and stopped drinking Crystal Light (it was making me retain fluid -- I would drink Crystal Light and my ankles would swell).
chrisgraves
on 11/20/10 8:48 am - MA
you mentioned that Crystal lite made you retain fluid.  Why would this happen?  Are you only drinking clear water now or something else in replacement? 

5'6.5"  HW: 310 / SW:279.6  /GW:150               
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/10 10:04 am - Los Angeles, CA
My body doesn't like aspartame. I'm only drinking water right now, but I'm about to incorporate decaf coffee and tea.

Excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating are just some of the many negative side effects of aspartame, which is really just poison. Google "aspartame side effects" if you want to know more ... depression, trouble swallowing, migraines, anxiety, insomnia, high blood pressure, the list goes on and on.
Meg_S
on 11/20/10 1:13 am - Natick, MA
Hi Sam,

I am told it's not considered a stall unless it lasts a month or more. I had about 2 weeks with no loss at about 4-5 weeks out. I was convinced that was it, all I was going to lose, but I just kept doing what I was supposed to and the scale started moving again. During the time when it wasn't moving, everyone was telling me my body was changing. I think during these times our bodies re-adjust or re-align, it's when we lose alot of inches. I know it's frustrating, my scale hasn't moved in about 3 days now, but I know it will start up again.

Meg

Highest weight = 272, surgery weight = 240, goal weight = 135   

hazelnut6
on 11/20/10 3:14 am
I just came off a 2 week stall...my 3rd one since my surgery.  The scale if finally moving again.  Everyone's body is different...some have more stalls than others.  It is your body's way of resting. 

e56700
on 11/20/10 7:10 am - Rochester, MI
I seem to stop losing weight about every 10 pounds. I usually wait a week to see what happens, and if I don't lose, I start eating a "cleaner" diet. I eat only dense protein, and veggies. I can almost always get results when I make one of my daily meals fish. I'm in one of those sluggish modes at the moment, but after 8 months, I know it will pass if I keep doing the right thing.
Another loser
Most Active