Recent Topics

Sample menus with protein from actual food?

VictoriousSecret
on 11/26/10 7:45 pm
Does anyone know of a source that has sample daily menus for RNY patients that would be within our volume constraints but also provide adequate protein through food?  I'm looking for something that does not rely on protein shakes, powders, bullets, etc.  Thought I'd ask the experts first because I didn't turn any up while looking around.

Temporarily holding on losing more because I'm gaining!  Pregnant with my first baby (a boy!) due June 2013, after two rounds of IVF.  SO GRATEFUL!

Ladytazz
on 11/26/10 7:55 pm
I don't think you would be able to eat enough to get all your protein unless you added unflavored protein powder to your food. I am 4 months out and I still do 2 shakes a day. I know I hated them at first but I have been playing around with sugar free puddings and syrups and I am actually enjoying my shakes now.
VictoriousSecret
on 11/26/10 9:10 pm
I am currently using a lot of the unflavored powders, but I've also read that if too much of your protein comes from powders, your body doesn't really accept it.  Not sure if that's true, but I'm interested to see if it's possible to get the appropriate amount of protein just from food.

Temporarily holding on losing more because I'm gaining!  Pregnant with my first baby (a boy!) due June 2013, after two rounds of IVF.  SO GRATEFUL!

poet_kelly
on 11/26/10 9:21 pm - OH
That's not true.  You actually absorb protein from whey isolate protein powder very well.

However, it is possible to get enough from food once you get further out.  A month out, I don't see how you possibly could.

Kelly
VictoriousSecret
on 11/26/10 9:47 pm
Well, I'm not really asking about now.  Right now I'm putting unflavored protein powder in everything and still needing protein shakes and protein bullets to meet my goal.  I'm less than 2 weeks out.  I was thinking long-term.  :) 

poet_kelly
on 11/27/10 8:27 am - OH
Long term you can.  I do shakes some days but often not.

On a "no shake" day, I might do something like this:

breakfast - egg with cheese - 15 grams

snack - fruit

lunch - vegetarian chili - 15 grams

snack - greek yogurt - 15 grams

dinner - some sort of beans - 10 grams

snack - cheese and a couple pretzels - 10 grams

total= 65 grams

Note that those bullets contain mostly collagen protein and we dont' really absorb that so they aren't helping you.

Kelly
VictoriousSecret
on 11/27/10 10:23 am
That is super disappointing about the bullets.  They say whey isolate protein... is that not the same?  Here's the type I get (disgusting, but for so little liquid, it's 42 g of protein):

http://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Nutrition-Protein-Berry-Shots/dp/B0034KO4NW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1290882180&sr=8-1-spell

poet_kelly
on 11/27/10 11:28 am - OH
They say they have a little whey isolate and you will absorb that.  But they have a lot more collagen and that does not have all the amino acids we need and you won't absorb it.  The little bit of whey isolate in them is not really worth bothering with.

Kelly
4catz
on 11/26/10 8:59 pm
I don't know of any source either.  I had thought I could get in all my required protein in a day from just food and I tried.  I can get the required 60g a day with just food but I find if I get 80 - 100 a day I feel better and have more energy to do the workouts I do.  I ended up ginving in and I have one scoop of chochlate protein in my morning coffee.  I was finding that most proteins I drank made me gag by the end of a container of it.  I just recently found one at GNC that is Wehey Protein Isolate.  It gives me 28g per scoop.  I find that one a day works for me.  I drink it in my first cup and then have a real cup after that.  I do try to get most of my protein through natural food as that what my surgeon wants but he thinks the one a day supplement is also a good idea.  Good luck and welcome to the loosers bench.  Elena

Surgery Weight: 275
VictoriousSecret
on 11/26/10 9:35 pm
Thanks.  I'm pretty confident I'll need to keep up the shakes, but I wanted to see if there was another way available.  The problem with me is that the sugar-free products- all the syrups, packets, etc. - taste really awful.  Sickly sweet and fake.  I never liked them pre-op and now that I'm so newly out of surgery, everything tastes weird still.  They're even sweeter than usual.  I have been drinking some watered down crystal lite that is agreeing with me, but I haven't yet found a protein shake I wanted to finish.