Lissa_ND · 8 replies · 199 views
2 year post op weight gain
luvnuttydog · 8 replies · 205 views
Food journaling
karen_kg · 8 replies · 164 views

Cars for obese people

YankeeRose
on 12/2/10 7:28 pm - Meadville, PA
Hello! I have just started the weight loss surgery journey. I have met with a surgeon and am in the process of setting up all of my appointments. But I have a question. I need to get a car. I really don't know how to phrase this question but I am in dire need of a new car (not brand new). But due to my size I am having trouble finding one that I can fit into and drive comfortably. I am very short and I carry most of my wieght in my tummy. Because of this my legs are too short to reach the pedals because I have to put the seat back so far. It is so embarrassing to go to look for cars and not being able to fit. Has anyone else had this problem? I would just like to get some suggestions on vehicles that might work for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I can drive some of the older Ford Focuses because they have tilt steering and telescopic steering columns, however the new Focuses have built in center consoles and it's not very comfortable. Plus it only has tilt steering, not telescopic steering column so it is very uncomfortable. Has anyone used pedal extenders? 

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

turningpoint
on 12/2/10 8:10 pm
I have no idea of the cost, but the little people I know all have extenders that attach to the pedals so they can reach them.  That might help to increase your options.

ok I looked up pedal extensions and there are tons of websites...one says $130.    Many versions are portable so you can switch them when you use a different car.
Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
YankeeRose
on 12/2/10 8:42 pm - Meadville, PA
Thanks Emily!

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Jackie McGee
on 12/2/10 10:34 pm - PA
An SUV would work. I highly recommend anything by Honda or Kia.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

shaemarc
on 12/3/10 4:49 am
My Father has this problem so I've been kinda keeping an eye out for him.  A good car - but looks like it could be a bit of a gas guzzler - is the Chrysler 300.  They are really cool looking too.  :)

BlackLeatherRain
on 12/3/10 5:28 am - Wallis & Futuna
I don't know what to suggest, aside from telling you not to buy a Toyota Rav4. My husband and I have squished ourselves into that since 2005, and will continue to do so until I can afford something comfortable.
Less concerned about fitting into the world - your world, that is, 'cause it doesn't really matter any more. None of it really matters any more. Yes, I am alone, but then again I always was as far back as I can tell. I think maybe it's because you were never really real to begin with. I just made you up to hurt myself... and it worked.  Yes, it did! - Only, NIN

jadra04
on 12/3/10 5:57 am - Arlington, TX
I had the most success with the ford pick-up trucks or any Ford for that matter, they seem to have a larger interior.  I know the Chevy avalanche has adjustable pedals that move forward and backwards.
~Michelle~

luvbskts
on 12/3/10 7:14 am
Love love love my Chrysler Town and Country.  My husband had a Cadillac and it had the telescope steering wheel.
My sister had a Honda CRV...way too small!  My MIL has a Jeep Gr. Cherokee.  The front was OK but the back seat is SMALL!

Hope this helps!
codlover
on 12/3/10 7:42 am - Celina, OH
At 618 I drive a Lincoln Town Car. I have a 1995 and a 1997. They are the same body style, but the 1995 has more room behind the wheel than the 1997. My parents had a 1994 and again same body style but TONS more room inside. These being older have high miles, but if you look on Autotrader.com you may find on with fewer miles. Do not be afraid of one with 100,000 miles on it. My 1995 has 180,000 and still running strong.
I wish you luck. I am not short, so do not have that problem. I sure know the felling of not fitting behind the wheel.
I did have a Buick Park Avenue that was a 1985. I am not sure of the newer ones. None of the cars I mentioned have a center console and the Town Cars have bench seats.
Jim from Celina   328 Pounds...GONE !!!!!      
Miss Redd
on 12/3/10 8:25 am - Lancashire, United Kingdom
Hi!

Take a look at my before pictures-you will see that I know what you mean. I got my car for many reasons-but the MAIN was that it fit me! Not a tall girl, and at the time was wide in the middle and hips.

Hyuandai Sonata 2004.  Even the seat belt FIT!!! Legs reached pedals..etc!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pre Surgery 383 Surgery 359 Current 180

NEW YOUTUBE Channel!