Cars for obese people

Cherish F.
on 12/3/10 12:38 am - Philadelphia, PA
I was going to suggets the Sonata too. My 2004 was always comfortable before and especially after surgery.
 Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

YankeeRose
on 12/3/10 5:50 am - Meadville, PA
Thank you for the info. I will certainly check it out. I was a little leary of Honda because I heard that they do not have seat belt extenders available. By the way, congrats on the weight loss, you look great!

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

jonathanac
on 12/3/10 2:03 am - NY
I got an escalade due to weight and height.
Steering wheel moves and gas pedals go forwards and backwards too. It's a nice ride.
Highest:454~Surgery:415~Current:227~Lost:227~Goal:220

CornaBelle
on 12/3/10 3:03 am
My 2004 suburban has adjustable pedals too.
YankeeRose
on 12/3/10 5:53 am - Meadville, PA
Thank you all sooo much. I appreciate all of your suggestions. I will definitely try to check out some of the vehicles you all mentioned. Hopefully I will have my surgery within the next couple of months and this won't be an issue anymore.
MsBatt
on 12/3/10 6:35 am
Been there, done that! Just before I had surgery, I was seriously talking to a guy about welding me some extensions onto the pedals of my VW Fox. Now I'm glad I didn't---in less than three months after my DS, I was moving the seat waaaaay up.

What form of WLS are you planning on having? I hope you're researching the DS---it has the very best long-term, maintained weight loss, especially for those of us with a starting BMI greater than 50. (Mine was 75.) And it also has the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.
YankeeRose
on 12/3/10 7:27 am - Meadville, PA

My surgeon only does lap band, RNY or the sleeve. I was planning on going with the RNY. I have heard that the DS has the most risk of complications. Don't know that much about it. When I started looking into WLS I was about 50 lbs lighter than I am now. At that time my insurance had an exclusion for WLS. I now have a different insurance that does cover WLS. My BMI is around 73 I think. Luckily they only require a 2 mos supervised diet for anyone with a BMI higher than 55. But because of that my surgeon wants me to do  a 1 month liquid diet before surgery to shrink my liver. Don't know how in the world I am gonna get through that month...LOL But it will be worth the torture to finally have WLS. Thanks for your response!

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

MsBatt
on 12/4/10 3:44 am
The surgical risks are about the same for the RNY and the DS---IF you have a qualified surgeon. The DS DOES require more surgical skill and takes longer to do, so it's not the 'money maker' for the surgeon that the RNY is.

I can't imagine a mont-long liquid diet---and frankly, there's no real evidence that a liguid diet has any benefits over a solid-food diet. The 'shrink the liver' business isn't really accurate---what the diet is for is to deplete the glycogen stored in the liver, which changes its texture---makes it less slippery. And ANY high-protien, low-carb diet will do that.

Good luck---and really, you SHOULD research the DS, even if your current surgeon doesn't do it. You can always change surgeons...(*grin*) Also read the Revision board, and see how many people are trading in other procedures for a DS. (A revision from the RNY to the DS is the most complicated---Sleeve to DS the easiest.)
YankeeRose
on 12/3/10 7:33 am - Meadville, PA
I thought I saw a reply to my original post that said they didn't recommend any SUV. However I can't find it now. If that person is reading this, can you please tell me why you don't recommend any SUV's? I am just curious. I've never driven one but I heard that they flip easily. I do live in a very snowy area (Lake effect snow from Lake Erie) so I thought an SUV would be good. Although I don't think I can drive (or afford) a large SUV so I was looking at at the Toyota Rav4 because it is smaller. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Jim Parker
on 12/3/10 10:28 am - TX
RNY on 11/02/10 with
Check out the Nissan Murano.  It's got a very roomy interior, tilt / telescoping steering wheel, and adjustable pedals.  Also has the most comfortable back seat I've ever sat in (including limos).  Gas mileage isn't great, but you can't have everything, right?
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1459 views