Rushing
magoo1017 · 46 replies · 1491 views
Ridiculed in public
shining_starre · 46 replies · 2337 views

Ulcer or Lap Band Erosion??

Sarah R.
on 2/13/11 6:27 pm - Victorville, CA
VSG on 11/23/12
I have had a lapband for nearly two years (problem free) but have been having symptoms for several months that have finally been identified as a likely ulcer. My symptoms include:

-Burning from almost everything I eat but esp foods that are acidic
-Pain & Burning from taking Vitamins
-My iron levels have gradually dropped over the last months to the point that I am now anemic when I have never had troubles with my iron

A few days ago my Dr completely unfilled my lapband and I have not felt the burning or pain even once while eating since. My first speculation was that the ulcer may be very near the band since the unfill made it possible to eat without pain, however after now looking into a band erosion and learning it is so similar I am getting slightly worried. esp since band erosion generally leads to band removal. I have an endoscopy scheduled just as soon as my insurance approves it, so I will know soon enough, but I am just hoping to hear shared experiences and how it worked out for you.

Thank You!!

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/11 6:45 pm - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 The only way to tell for sure if your band has eroded is having a endoscopy, but your symptoms does not appear to be band erosion. Typically with erosion you lose restriction WITHOUT an unfill since the band migrates into the stomach.

You may just have some irritation, or ulcer or gastritis, and the typical treatment for that is a total unfill for about 6 weeks and taking Carafe, Reglan and Protonix for about 6 weeks as well, that treatment has helped me and others who''ve had severe irritation from the band being too tight, if you are severely irritated it will take a few weeks to heal and then you should be able to slowly start getting fills again.

WASaBubbleButt
on 2/14/11 10:01 am - Mexico
Revision on 12/06/06 with
On February 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM Pacific Time, Sarah R. wrote:
I have had a lapband for nearly two years (problem free) but have been having symptoms for several months that have finally been identified as a likely ulcer. My symptoms include:

-Burning from almost everything I eat but esp foods that are acidic
-Pain & Burning from taking Vitamins
-My iron levels have gradually dropped over the last months to the point that I am now anemic when I have never had troubles with my iron

A few days ago my Dr completely unfilled my lapband and I have not felt the burning or pain even once while eating since. My first speculation was that the ulcer may be very near the band since the unfill made it possible to eat without pain, however after now looking into a band erosion and learning it is so similar I am getting slightly worried. esp since band erosion generally leads to band removal. I have an endoscopy scheduled just as soon as my insurance approves it, so I will know soon enough, but I am just hoping to hear shared experiences and how it worked out for you.

Thank You!!

Erosion is usually suspected when you have had a port infection or when you lose all restriction and have no leak, no slip, etc.  Erosion is spooky because the symptoms are so benign. 

Burning and pain are not typically erosion symptoms.  No symptoms are a symptom of erosion, see what I mean?

Reglan is not used often anymore due to the horrific potential side effects.  Typically PPIs are given as well as something to coat your stomach such as Carafate.

Think of an ulcer happening from the inside of your stomach and erosion happens from the outside of your stomach.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/