Study: Long Term Outcomes of Lap Band

MARIA F.
on 4/12/11 12:52 pm - Athens, GA
On April 12, 2011 at 11:15 AM Pacific Time, Rors wrote:
IF the OP had wanted to stir the pot she would have posted this other recent study.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/21/us-obesity-surgery -idUSTRE71K5NC20110221

There you go, go crazy on that one.

That's actually a really good article. I already have a draft of it saved on my computer to publish on my blog.

FormerlyFluffy.com

psychomom
on 4/12/11 9:21 am - China Grove, NC
I do not know why someone who does not have a band would want to stir the pot with all this but every WLS has successes and failures and risks and benefits .  We are all on the same journey to get healthy and lose weight ....What does it really matter which way we go ?  I personally did not want my insides re-routed but that is just ME the band was the best choice for ME . No one else should be interested in making me feel bad about that decision. I respect anyone who has chosen WLS for trying to better themselves no matter which surgery they have chosen. I have a GF who has had the bypass and she had complications and has also regained weight. She did not lose all her weight to begin with . I have a GF who had the DS she lost all her weight but again had many complications and is now regaining weight. Does that mean ALL bypass or DS ppl will have issues and fail and that those surgeries are not effective ? NO it is all apart of the risk we ALL take when we chose WLS. Any of us , no matter which surgery we choose can have issues and Any of us can re-gain weight. So we are all in the same pot here .... none of us can be guaranteed  a risk free ride !

So Blessed!
on 4/12/11 10:36 pm

"I personally did not want my insides re-routed but that is just ME the band was the best choice for ME . No one else should be interested in making me feel bad about that decision."

And this is where we have a basic communication disconnect. 

I posted an abstract to a research article related to weight loss surgery on Obesity Help, which consists primarily of people who have an interest in weight loss surgery.   I am not the author of the study.  I did not draw the conclusions.  If the study had been about RNY, DS or the sleeve I still would have shared it with the group.

I have been a member of the Obesity Help community since 2004 and in all that time I have never put anybody down because of the surgery that they chose.  Please don't lump me into that category of people because that is not who I am.

I will continue to share information that I believe will be of interest to people on this message board.  If there are perceived (or actual) flaws in the information, then it should be discussed.

psychomom
on 4/12/11 10:43 pm - China Grove, NC
It does sound like lumped you into the group .i am sorry b/c I really do not think that it was your intention to bash. I was not directing this at you it was more the vibe of some of the responding posts and I should have made that clear .
We deal with ALOT of band bashers on our band board and it gets under your skin sometimes when ppl seem to constantly be knocking something you chose and believe in .I am sure you can understand that . Again I should have made it clear that you had no ill intentions  and I apologize.
Christi :)

So Blessed!
on 4/12/11 11:09 pm

I accept your apology, Christi.  Thank you for explaining your feelings to me. 

We're cool.

psychomom
on 4/12/11 11:31 pm - China Grove, NC
Thanks !   

Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/13/11 1:33 am - Tuvalu
On April 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM Pacific Time, psychomom wrote:
I do not know why someone who does not have a band would want to stir the pot with all this but every WLS has successes and failures and risks and benefits .  We are all on the same journey to get healthy and lose weight ....What does it really matter which way we go ?  I personally did not want my insides re-routed but that is just ME the band was the best choice for ME . No one else should be interested in making me feel bad about that decision. I respect anyone who has chosen WLS for trying to better themselves no matter which surgery they have chosen. I have a GF who has had the bypass and she had complications and has also regained weight. She did not lose all her weight to begin with . I have a GF who had the DS she lost all her weight but again had many complications and is now regaining weight. Does that mean ALL bypass or DS ppl will have issues and fail and that those surgeries are not effective ? NO it is all apart of the risk we ALL take when we chose WLS. Any of us , no matter which surgery we choose can have issues and Any of us can re-gain weight. So we are all in the same pot here .... none of us can be guaranteed  a risk free ride !

One more time...many of us who hate the band HAVE HAD the band.

I still have mine.  In a baggy in a closet.

And this?  "every WLS has successes and failures and risks and benefits"  

This is from Fantasy Land.  When 75-80% of people who have one particualr wls fail to lose even HALF of their excess weight...what kind of success do you want to call that?  That would be like your brakes KIND OF WORKING 20-25% of the time.  It would be like 20-25% of the kids at your local HS making it through their sophomore year of HS.  How can these numbers, in ANYONE'S mind--be a success?  Answer?  If that brain is FUNCTIONING..those numbers cannot be considered success.

psychomom
on 4/13/11 1:39 am - China Grove, NC
So are you saying that all OTHER forms of WLS DO NOT carry any risks at all ? Clearly your brain is not functioning.
Oh give it up there is no reasoning with you ....it didn't work for YOU so it could not work for ANYone!
You are right ...fine there you go ! It must be true ! i live in fantasyland.you got me !

MacMadame
on 4/13/11 6:22 am - Northern, CA
"So are you saying that all OTHER forms of WLS DO NOT carry any risks at all ? "

No, she didn't say anything remotely like that.

She is saying the risks and benefits are not equal among the various WLS so saying "they all have risks" as if that means "there is no difference" is not accurate.

"it didn't work for YOU so it could not work for ANYone"

Again, she didn't say anything remotely like that.

"i live in fantasyland"

Okay, that I agree with.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/13/11 9:14 am - Tuvalu
On April 13, 2011 at 8:39 AM Pacific Time, psychomom wrote:
So are you saying that all OTHER forms of WLS DO NOT carry any risks at all ? Clearly your brain is not functioning.
Oh give it up there is no reasoning with you ....it didn't work for YOU so it could not work for ANYone!
You are right ...fine there you go ! It must be true ! i live in fantasyland.you got me !

So are you saying that all OTHER forms of WLS DO NOT carry any risks at all ? Of course I didn't say such a ridiculous thing!

Clearly your brain is not functioning.   No, your READING ABILITY--such as it is--is showing.  You are making up what you think I said and then arguing that it is wrong.  I can't think that stupid.  But that's okay, because you seem to have that under control.  Duh.
Most Active