Problems sleeping with a Lap-Band: Choking in your sleep!

girlygirl1313
on 4/15/11 3:44 am - Davidson, NC
Poor thing! Like others have suggested try upping to 40mg. That's the prescription strength. Might be cheaper to get a script for it too. Also I have heard that taking the same PPI for an extended amount of time could make it less effective. Maybe switching to a different PPI might help?

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 5:45 am
I think you may be onto something there.  I have been taking the Omeprazole for about 3 weeks, which is longer than the 14 days it suggests.  Maybe I do need to change.  that's a better option for me than moving to 40mg because of the restriction I have with my other meds.
LouLou7
on 4/15/11 4:19 am
I got nothing on the acid question, but I wanted to say Hi, Bear.

I've missed you.

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 5:47 am

Are you on Facebook?  I'll PM you my contact on there if you are.
Phyllis C.
on 4/15/11 5:42 am
Take the Omerpazole later in the day.  Drink lots of water throughout the day.  Drink a big glass of water before you go to bed.  NO CHOCOLATE!!!  I swear, I can eat hot peppers, tomatoes, citrus fruits and drink coffee, but if I eat chocolate, I get reflux that causes me to think I am having a heart attack.

You will have to take a PPI after your VSG, but it is a different kind of acid.  It makes your stomach feel burny but not your throat.

Good luck, you are going to think you died and went to heaven after you get that thing removed!!!

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 5:54 am
If I take the Omerpazole later I may have to flip my other meds because of the 12 hour time difference.  Unfortunately some meds can't be taken near the time you take antacids. :(
(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 5:59 am
After getting my last fill in January, my GERD came roaring back.  It was much worse than it was even preop.  So now I'm taking Omeprazoletwice a day, since once a day was doing absolutely nothing for me.

So unfortunately you are not alone.
(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 6:04 am
Would it be better to get an unfil to fix the GERD?  I had acid once before right after a fill but I just reversed the fill to make the acid go away.  The only problem, this time, is I am completely unfilled so I can't loosen it up any more.

I do notice, now, that the problem is worse when my hole feels tighter.  Sometimes my band just all of a sudden tightens for days, and this is when it is worse.   I guess it is swollen.

I just don't know how to make my lining less swolen when it is acting up.   Is there a tummy relaxer?
Zee Starrlite
on 4/15/11 6:15 am, edited 4/15/11 6:18 am
Oy  this happened to both me and the person that became one of my best friends because we were experiencing the same issues - dilated esophagus.  It was awful.  I felt like I was stricken with a Mac truck when waking in the morning. Choking, coughing - ridiculous!!!  With my second dilation I had no symptoms whatsoever.  Getting an unfill fixed this for me.

Once we have lost a substantial amount of weight, completely unfilling the band is probably NOT the best idea as it could cause it to slip or slip further if we already are experiencing a slip. There should be a bit of saline in your band.

The ultimate solution is to have that hunk a junk taken out of you.

Feel better,
Leila 

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 6:25 am
It is coming out a week from Monday (4/25).  I can't wait.

I'm revising to the VSG.
Most Active