Not losing after gastric bypass

Linda819
on 5/22/11 9:17 am - Philadelphia, PA
I need some help.  I had gastric bypass surgery 8/24/2010.  I have lost 66 pounds but haven't lost anything the past 2 months.  Has anybody had this experience.  I am at a lost to explain why I am not losing.  I have not had any dumping issues so I know that I am not over eating. I have a follow up with my surgeon tomorrow and he didn't know why I hadn't lost much on my last visit.

sweetpotato1959
on 5/22/11 9:31 am
   Could be another medical issue, Are you retaining water?
         Sounds like you have hit a plateau...
          If it were me, I'd boost my protein intake to 100 gms a day , cut my carbs to 25-30 range for a few days, and boost my water up..after 5 days, I'd re-check the scale.
       .  Before you go to Doc, do a diet log, try to remember for the past two or three days, it may help ...
       . You need to record your protein and carb intake...make sure you get enough water..
            . Where is your exercise plan? can you boost what you are doing an additional 15 min. 2x a day  of walking,some isometrics or some light weight  training?  
          Let me know how it goes. take care of yourself and get plenty of sleep,... stress will cause a plateau as well.
Pupcake !.
on 5/22/11 9:33 am - Stranded in, IA
You need to track every bite you put in your mouth if your don't already.

Track your exercise and your intake and bring it to the Dr to evaluate.  After you have a few weeks of tracking make an appt with a nutritionist.  The Dr needs to see if everything inside is working correctly but needs to know your intake first.

Good luck

Pup
Hvhmom
on 5/22/11 9:37 am - raleigh, NC

First off, HUGS.  I know how frustrating this must be for you.  I stress over every little pound (I know that I should not).   I'm sure that you have heard time and time again protein and water BUT it's soo true and it works.  Are you eating protein first at EVERY meal and drinking plain ole water when not eating?  If not, please give this a try.   Protein should make up at least 80% of what you eat and ideally water should make up 95% of what you drink.  I know that some do tea, coffee, shakes, etc. and that's fine BUT with your sitution I would focus on drinking jus****er. 
Oh honey I hope that the scale get's moving for you soon and puts you in reach of your weight loss goal.

Dennia

HW 269/SW 263/CW 184/GW 135                        
Amy R.
on 5/22/11 9:57 am

First, I am so sorry you are struggling.  Your doc will be able to help you determine if you have a mechanical issue or if it's something else when you see him. 

I can understand how discouraged you must be, so I went and dug up the following link to THE BEST post I have ever seen on evaluating and breaking a stall.  The author, Pam T., looks helps you look at your current stall/plateau from every conceivable angle.  I used this all the time when I was in my active weight loss phase and still look at it if I feel like I am stuck or gaining for some unknown reason.  It is an awesome tool:

http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2008/09/breaking-stall.html

Maybe if you have a look, something will catch your eye that will help you get started on addressing whatever's up (assuming it's not mechanical of course).

Good luck to you.  Many have stalled for 2 or 3 months farther out and then went on to lose more. I know that is what happened to me last summer.  Thought I was done losing but wanted to make double sure there wasn't anything more I could do so went through this list, made the appropriate changes, and ended up losing another 25 pounds.

Hang in there.  You are doing the right thing by addressing it now while you are simply not losing, but not actively gaining either.

Amy R.
on 5/22/11 10:03 am
I have not had any dumping issues so I know that I am not over eating.

Oh, and before I forget - you might want to be careful with this train of thought.  Dumping doesn't necessarily have to do with overeating.  I can dump on 4 or 5 bites of something, because it has too much sugar or fat.  I can also overeat and not dump, because what I have eaten is not high in fat or sugars.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that overeating is not the cause of dumping.  Dumping is caused by your body's adverse reaction to fats and sugars.  NOT saying you are overeating (only you know if that is the case), just saying you can't tell whether you are or aren't based upon anything to do with dumping.   =)
chrisgraves
on 5/22/11 10:15 am - MA
HI,  I'm very sorry to hear about your struggle.  Talk to your doc about any Medications you may be on (diabetes, heart, cholesterol).  They may be slowing down your loss. 

Since surgery I've lost about 70lbs - relatively slow by most RNY schedules.  But still losses so I'm happy.  As I lost weight I was able (w/ doc supervision) to lower my doses of certain meds.  As I did this I noticed that my calorie burn had become higher per day.  Same general activity level but my body is metabolizing thing differently. 

So if your in your calorie, protein, hydration, burn range and getting adequate vitamin supplements this is something you may want to investigate.  There may be alternative meds on the market or the dosages may need to be adjusted for your current weight loss.

Good luck

5'6.5"  HW: 310 / SW:279.6  /GW:150               
stargazerdiana
on 5/22/11 10:22 am
I think this happens a lot. I would get stuck and gain and loose and gain the same 5 pounds in a period of 2 months and then I would loose again. Of course the more you loose and the less you have to loose (same difference) the slower the weight comes off. I jumped from a size 12 to a size 8 and was only an 8 for 5 weeks. I have been a 6 for 2 months and haven't lost anymore except to gain and loose another same 5 pounds. I can honestly say I am ready to stop loosing weight.

The one food I found I could eat but was very bad for me was Tostidos with a Hint of Lime with Salsa. I would not eat but 5 or 6 chips but the salt content would make me hold so much water my I could see the bags under my eyes from holding water by just looking down at my face. No more Tostidos in my house...

Be patient. There are a lot of physical reasons your body hits plateaus.

I dump when I the sugar content is over 3 grams or eat something fatty. Dumping causes me a rapid heartbeat, sweat and the most horrible sickness I have ever felt. Over eating causes the same feelings it did before WLS such as an uncomfortable stomach and nausea. Over eating after WLS can from result from me eating just 2 more bites than my pouch can hold.

beemerbeeper
on 5/22/11 10:22 am - AL
Not everyone dumps.  So not dumping does not mean that you aren't over eating.  Of course I have no idea if you are or aren't eating too much but I just wanted to point out that you should not measure that by whether or not you dump.

What does your NUT say?  Do you keep a food log? How much exercise do you get?

You said you have a follow up with your surgeon tomorrow.  I hope you get to the bottom of this asap.

~Becky

Lucycat
on 5/22/11 12:25 pm - Lewiston, ID
I've been the same weight for the last few months so I feel your pain.  I'm not sure what is going on but it is very frustrating.  My doctor said that it happens more often when you're older, which I am, but I don't know what to do to get the scale moving again.