Success after port replacement?

Allisonw2lls
on 5/26/11 11:05 pm - CA
VSG on 06/16/17
I had my port removed a few weeks ago due to an ongoing infection I had. The infection has been there for quite sometime but since i was not in any pain my Dr said we could wait for the replacement surgery so i could get to a good restriction point then have the port removed and still have restriction while I was healing. Sad part is when they removed the port there was some sort of complication that kept him form keeping me filled and i am completely un-restricted. It has been really tough after many months of being fully restricted and not even wnating to eat to now being able to eat and enjoying it.....All I can think about is having my port replaced and feeling restricted again.  They said this is goign to take will power, well I say if I had that conquered I would not be here in the 1st place...So anyone who has had their port replaced for any reason was it back to normal for you after it was replaced? When I say normal I mean normal feeling of restriction and not wnating to eat much.

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 11:37 pm
I'm not a bandster, but here are my thoughts.

After needing a port removal due to an infection, I can't imagine why you would want another one placed. Have you considered revising to another procedure as an alternative?

This is not all about will power. Claiming so is a way your surgery center can hold power over you. It's abusive if you ask me.
Stephanie M.
on 5/26/11 11:53 pm
On May 27, 2011 at 6:05 AM Pacific Time, Allisonw2lls wrote: I had my port removed a few weeks ago due to an ongoing infection I had. The infection has been there for quite sometime but since i was not in any pain my Dr said we could wait for the replacement surgery so i could get to a good restriction point then have the port removed and still have restriction while I was healing. Sad part is when they removed the port there was some sort of complication that kept him form keeping me filled and i am completely un-restricted.
If your port was infected, your tubing and your band might have some infectious material in it as well...removing the port is not necessarily going to remove the infection.  I think you need to talk to another band doctor outside your doctor's practice to determine your next step.  I personally would want all the infection OUT and that means removing the band and all the tubing and replacing it or revising to a different surgery.
It has been really tough after many months of being fully restricted and not even wnating to eat to now being able to eat and enjoying it.....All I can think about is having my port replaced and feeling restricted again.  They said this is goign to take will power, well I say if I had that conquered I would not be here in the 1st place...So anyone who has had their port replaced for any reason was it back to normal for you after it was replaced? When I say normal I mean normal feeling of restriction and not wnating to eat much.
Please go to the lap-band forumwww.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/ and repost this there...many folks on there have had port replacements (though I don't recall any that had it for a port infection, without removing the tubing and band, but I could be mistaken) and can help you figure out what to do next.
Good luck.
Steph

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1345 views