Kind of an embarrassing problem... Well... Two.

So Blessed!
on 5/30/11 11:28 pm

Your post really touched my heart.    I feel your struggle. 
Stephanie M.
on 5/31/11 12:50 am, edited 5/31/11 12:51 am
I agree that you need to change your user name...now for the hygiene issues...

I don't know what your daily routine is for showering, etc, but there are some things that can help.  Some have already been mentioned but I want to recap here so you have it all in one place.

I get these just under my panni and in the groin.  Sometimes in my navel and have had one or two times where I have had them under my breasts.

Bathing daily is so important.  I have handheld shower attachments in every home (my FIL's house in CA, my son's vacation home and my own home) that I spend a significant amount of time in.  When showering, it is important to get these areas completely clean by soaping the area up and rinsing it off completely. 

Drying the area is also very important.  Someone mentioned a blow dryer...could be worth a try...but I use a clean towel every time I shower if I have one spot of infection...the infection thrives in warm, moist environments...a damp towel is a perfect breeding ground.  Wash your towels in HO****er and dry on HIGH heat.

Underwear should be the kind that are longer, like men's cotton boxers...this puts something in the skin fold area to keep the areas separated.

Gold Bond powder is great.  It dries the area and keeps the skin from coming in direct contact with other skin.

I have two ointments that work for my infections...nystatin and mirpirocin.  One is anti-fungal the other anti-bacterial.  They are prescriptions and I always have a tube at home, in my travel bag and in my purse in a zip lock.

Antiperspirant works great once you have the infections cleared up. Get the stick kind, like Secret.  Keeps the area dry...a little gold bond on top of that and you will avoid most opportunities for infection.

I have heard of many people who have trouble wiping...there are tools that people use.  If you go to the BMI over 50 board, I bet you will get a lot of advice regarding this subject.  The hand-held shower attachment  can be used to do a bottom rinse after using the bathroom.  Cottonelle moist wipes are another thing I find indispensable...keep some in my purse all the time and in my travel bag.  They come individually wrapped or in a dispenser that is refillable.  They are available at Costco for a very good price.  After BM or any time I need to freshen up, I use these.

Incorrectly doing our laundry is a big contributor to yeast problems.  Whenever one of our grandchildren would get yeast as babies, we were told to wash their laundry separate from everyone else's in the household and use ho****er and highest heat for drying. Your clothing should be washed in this manner, especially the items that come into direct contact with these areas.

Lastly, talk to your doctor.  You need to get prescriptions for the ointments, an anti-bacterial bath "soap" and to document these problems for future insurance coverage to treat them.

Print this out and take it with you to the doctor. 

Steph

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

BeautyisherGODgiven
name

on 5/31/11 2:27 am, edited 5/31/11 2:28 am
two words: EXPHOLIATING GLOVES.
I have given this to both my neice and nephew at the onset of adolesence. It helps with the daily removal of extra skin and you are simply use your hands. Everyone sells them and you can use any kind of soap with them. Also if you can get rid of any extra body hair it helps. ALOT. best of luck.

**forgot to add Dove has a line of deoderants, body wash and body sprays. you can get them all in the same scent

Follow my progress: www.youtube.com/user/livictori                           

imchatti
on 5/31/11 9:01 am - NJ
Everyone here has given you wonderful advice on hygeine issues and names. 

I have a few more yeast infection tips to add ....

- instead of using fabric softener on your clothes when you wash them, put white vinegar in the fabric dispenser.  white vinegar will kill the fungus and it is a natural fabric softener (not downy but good enough lol).  i alway wash my towels and underclothes this way. 

- buy dr. bonner's magic castille soap with tea tree oil.  again tea tree is a natural antifungal.

- avoid any soaps and lotions that have perfume - that will encourage yeast to grow.

- buy some probiotics and take them daily - even when the infection clears up .... it will help keep the yeast at bay and eat your yogurt :-). 

- avoid sugar and white/bad carbs, they feed yeast. 

- if you have a big soaking bath tub (i am lucky enough to have one) put pure tea tree oil in the water and soak.  you only need a ml or two for a big two person tub.  don't use ho****er, just warm, heat makes the buggers active and they itch more.  if you can't find or afford the tea tree oil (it is fairly expensive) you can use a few capfuls of white vinegar .... and don't worry when the vinegar dries it loses it's smell. 

- i also second, third, fourth lotrimin powder spray (or something like it - generic is fine).  spray, spray, spray those folds....even when the infection is gone it is good prevention. 

- diaper rash cream is great too.  when my fold gets really bad and opens a bit, i put the lotrimin spray on and then cover it with triple paste (over the counter) or vusion (prescription only).  the vusion is fantastic!  it has nystatin in it and the zinc that it is the cream is super strength and doesn't come off!  it will help keep the wetness from getting to your skin. 

good luck and as everyone said .... change your screen name! 

valeryjo61
on 5/31/11 9:28 am
i have tried gold bond powder, fem hygiene products, antiperspirants, none did the trick for me
the one thing i have found is auquaphor healing ointment, it is almost like a vaseline type ointment, i clean and dry the areas affected then apply this under my panni, in my belly button, under my boobs, it sort of is a moisture barrier...took me a couple years to find something o help and by gosh this is one that works for me. i belive this is made by eucerine, again it is auquaphor healing ointment, since using this, havent had any irrataions or odor. best of luck.

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/11 10:18 am - OH
I agree with the Nystantin powder. You do need a prescription for it, but you can just tell you doctor that you are getting a rash in your folds. We use it on residents at work ALL THE TIME! It's no big deal. It works wonders for the rashes that develop under the stomach fold and breast folds. As for the wiping issue, I agree about the extender arm that holds the toilet paper. Just shop around online that way you don't have to actually buy it in a store. Best of luck to you!
MsBatt
on 5/31/11 11:38 am
Been there, done that.

Smell---spray-on deodorant. It hepls kill the rash, too.

Wiping---get a hand-held shower head with an extra-long hose, and wash after pooping. Obviously, this only works at home. (*grin*)

Through enormous self-control, I did not poop in a public restroom between (September)1987 and 2004. (June, seven months post-DS.)
mrskreuter
on 5/31/11 1:04 pm
RNY on 02/24/11 with
I sent you a personal message under your name.

Chemnerd99
on 5/31/11 2:01 pm - Semmes, AL
I use the walmart brand athletes foot fungal cream. Generic clotrimazole.  Makes the red weeping painful infection go away almost overnight.  It is definitely a fungal infection get medicine for it.  Also using body wash helps alot for prevention.

As for the bumps under the fold or on the thighs.  Red tender blood blisters that pop.  Check out boils (there are varying degrees from folliculitis to hidradenitis suppurativa.)

Believe me at 445 lbs I had them all.  Good news after my surgery (down to 273 yeah)-they went away. 

Joeyzgirl
on 6/1/11 12:52 am - Crocker, MO
I use ivory bar soap on all my private areas, it dries out more than other soaps and that really helps with the excess moisture. I use gold bond powder as well when I have a rash, until that rash is gone, then I put sure deoderant under all my folds everyday, it helps keep it fresh and keeps the moisture from rubbing my skin raw... it really does work wonders.
Most Active