HERE'S THE POOP!

divataunia
on 6/24/11 7:18 am - Pasadena, CA
Ok look, nobody wants to talk about this, I know.  It's not "polite" conversation, and believe me, it almost kills me to type this out so publicly....BUT.  I get lots and lots of questions about this, so I thought it was worth talking about.  And what are the questions about?  POOP.  Yep, poop.

For anyone who's not familiar with me, here's the scoop:  I'm 3.5 yrs post-op, maintaining an almost 150 lbs loss.  One of the questions that I get asked the most is about bowel movements and what's normal, etc.   I guess it's all the rage since Dr. Oz talked about the letter S on Oprah.  So here's the poop scoop:

Pre-surgery, I had irritable bowl syndrome.  I had to go, quite literally, ALL THE TIME.  I would eat, and that would immediately trigger spasms in my digestive track, and I would have cramps, and a big-rush emergency to get into the rest room.   A lot of times, I didn't like to go out to eat because I KNEW I would have to make a mad dash into the restroom, and I hate, hate, hate being in a public restroom with anyone else.  It was embarassing, constant, painful,and a hassle for anyone with me.  If I had to guess how many times a day I rushed to the bathroom, it would be between 3-5 times, depending on how many times I ate.  It also didnt matter WHAT I ate - everything triggered it.

Fast forward 3.5 yrs.   I was at my doctor's office and she asked me when my last bowel movement was.  Uh, I can't remember?  I got maybe three times a week now, and instead of the 30 mins that I used to spend in there in my former life gripping my stomach in pain, I'm in and out in a matter of three minutes.  Completely normal bowel movements.  Should I be going more?  Eh, maybe, but I'm not constipated.  My body has just adjusted..  I go normally.  No embarassing mad dashes to the rest room.  No meal-triggered cramps and attacks.  No more IBS.  NONE.  

This has probably been the most wonderful part of my post-op life.  Quite honestly, IBS used to control my life and my decisions.  I would have to plan an escape route, or wait until a restroom was empty, I'd be in horrendous pain, it was AWFUL.  And now?  I feel NORMAL. I cannot tell you what an amazing change this has been in my life.

I'm not a medical professional, therapist, or anyone with any type of anatomy training.  This has just been MY experience, and one that I'm THRILLED about.  I'm posting it here because I know it's sometimes awkward to ask or talk about, but honestly, I'm pretty shameless.  lol

I hope this helps answer some questions, but please feel free to email me directly if you would like to talk about it.  :)

Cheers,

Diva Taunia 

Facebook Twitter Google YouTube pinterest Blog RSS Facebook Page Klout Soundcloud

sfmini
on 6/24/11 12:04 pm
Me too!!!
Monday will be a bad flashback for me! Prep day for colonoscopy.
They expect me to drink 8 oz of clears every 15 minutes all day and finish up with 2 laxatives and that lovely prep drink.
It will be just like the bad old days on steroids.

divataunia
on 6/24/11 7:25 pm - Pasadena, CA
 I'm not sure if any studies have been done on this or not?  I know researchers have spent a ton of time on bigger issues - like diabetetes.  I'm going to see if there are any studies out there about this...

PS with the colonoscopy. I've had one before too - not. fun.  

Cheers,

Diva Taunia 

Facebook Twitter Google YouTube pinterest Blog RSS Facebook Page Klout Soundcloud

Marcia B.
on 6/25/11 10:44 am - CA
I have IBS as well... I hope having a VSG gives me the same results as you have gotten - it would be a relief not to have to think about where every bathroom is within my vicinity and I could do without the near accidents and pain as well :) thanks for you encouraging words.

Most Active