Depo after WLS?? Ladies only...

Tracy M.
on 7/30/11 2:04 am - KY
I had my RNY a little over 4 months ago and have pretty much been bleeding ever since. I had a few short periods where the birth control pills helped but it hasn't lasted long...My gyn just changed my pills to a different kind. I am on the 3rd week and the bleeding still is not stopping. I am thinking of trying the depo. I had this problem years ago because of PCOS and they gave me depo then and it helped for several years. I just don't want it to stop the weight loss. In the back of my mind I am thinking it shouldn't unless it causes e to eat more and I am NOT going to do that...What do you all think??

Tracy

Highest known weight- 512
Surgery weight-425
Current Weight- 260

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/30/11 3:24 am - Windsor, Canada
I miss my Depo!!!

I was a long term user so unfortunately after gb, I'd found out that I had bone loss between the surgery and long term use of Depo. I was so sad to see it go!!!!  

You should be fine on Depo. Just make sure after a year of use that you get your bone density checked to make sure there are no negative affects.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Nora73
on 7/30/11 3:31 am - Pensacola, FL
 With in 6wks of surgery I had the five year IUD placed... mostly due to my periods lasting 14days or longer and very very painful... I've had nine children...(prego with triplets naturaly) so I don't risk anything!!!  Even though new hubby is fixed lol..

oh... I've had some spotting a few times but other than that no signs of my cycle in almost 2 years and loving every minute of it!!
HW 372  SW 316 CW 190 7/21/11

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/11 10:59 am, edited 7/29/11 11:01 pm - OH
Be very careful with Depo. It is proven to pull calcium from your bones.

I have tried Depo before, I gained about 20lbs on it. I had a spotting daily for MONTHS! I couldn't handle it. After I had my son, I got the Mirena IUD placed. I absoultly LOVE it!! I did have some spotting for the first month, but then my periods basically disapeared. I haven't gained any weight on it, and it's good for 5 years. Obviously the decision is yours, but with your malabsorption, I wouldn't risk the calcium loss of the Depo.

Good luck!
LoraLeeME
on 7/30/11 12:29 pm, edited 7/30/11 12:29 pm
I had adenomyosis which is similar to endometriosis. I only found out because of very heavy, long, irregular periods. I've had my kids - so it was a hysterectomy for me. I'm so happy. I feel so much better, lighter (my uterus was 3x normal size) and I'm not anemic anymore. I still have my ovaries.

Make sure your GYNO is checking for other causes than PCOS. Be careful with the depo or other BC  - they can really mess up your metabolism.

Take care.
cajungirl
on 7/30/11 2:39 pm
I had adneomyosis also and the reason a hysterectomy was the only good answer.  I had a complete (ovaries removed) so have to be on hormones are I'm ready to kill someone.

I also just found out 1 1/2 month ago my ferritin had tanked and had to do infusions.  I'll admit to not taking iron diligently with everything I've basically heard is post-menapausal ladies are less likely to become anemic.  I didn't fit in that category, I'll be having my iron labs drawn again early September to see if we'll continue with the infusions.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

tinamarie_125
on 7/30/11 12:29 pm
Be careful with depo...but for another reason. I was on it for years and was transitioning from it to the pill...and also had really bad urinary tract infections so I had to be on strong anti-biotics. At this point you have probably guessed what happened next. Preggers. Totally in shock. But now, my surprise baby is 13 years old. i love him to pieces. but just had to throw that out there.
cajungirl
on 7/30/11 2:35 pm
Depo is known to leach calcium from your bones and since you malabsorp I think it puts you at a higher change of getting osteoporosis.

My GYN told me she would be hesitant to prescribe it as an option to anyone with a malabsorptive surgery. 

I went through the almost constant bleeding for 2 1/2 years before I ended up with a hysterectomy.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Tracy M.
on 7/31/11 2:45 am - KY
I definitely cant handle bleeding for 2 years. NO WAY!!! I am calling my surgeons office tomorrow to see what they say about it and then making an appointment with my gyno. I have been doing this long enough and I need a break from it. I will either get a shot or they will just do a hysterectomy and get it over with. I am 41 and don't need no babies at this point anyway. I'm ready to get it over with. I just dread the surgery. It will be my 3rd one withing 6 months.

Tracy

Highest known weight- 512
Surgery weight-425
Current Weight- 260

tinamarie_125
on 7/31/11 3:16 am
Tracy, I am looking into having endometrial ablation...have you thought about that? I know many women who have had it and it stops most of their periods all together. Its a day procedure and very little risks compared to a hysterectomy. I have an appt. to go talk to a gyn about it next week.
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1224 views