Gastric bypass in Washington

Love Bird
on 9/30/11 2:49 am - Vancouver, WA
 Hello everyone!
I am new here, my name is Megan! I am looking into getting Gastric bypass surgery and I was wondering if anyone else has gotten this surgery. What did you have to do to get this surgery and how long did it take to get it done? I know that a persons BMI has to be 35 with an underlying condition or above 40. Mine is currently 47. Am I going to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get this done?
Thank you everyone for reading and responding!
Elizabeth N.
on 9/30/11 2:50 am, edited 1/3/12 12:22 am - Burlington County, NJ

poet_kelly
on 9/30/11 3:05 am - OH
Yes, many other people have gotten that surgery.

What you have to do and how long it takes varies depending on your surgeon, your insurance and your own needs.  I had surgery about four months after my first appointment with my surgeon.  I had to have a psych eval, meet with a dietician, attend a class about nutrition after WLS, have an endoscopy and get some blood tests and a chest xray.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tee t.
on 9/30/11 5:35 am
 Emma Petterson and the crew at  Legacy (23rd, Portland)  have gotten rave reviews from people who have gone to her.  check out the OREGON board for someone who can be more helpful than I can.

I do not recomment OHSU because your get students there and one of them nicked my liver sending me into liver failure. One of the greats is Cliff Deveney. Truth is, though, he stays in the operating theater with a student doing the actual surgery.  That could be true at any university hospital.

good luck.

tee

Love Bird
on 9/30/11 6:20 am - Vancouver, WA
 Thank you so much for your responses! I will definately look into the doctor at Legacy, that is not too far away from where I live...
Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/30/11 6:43 am
If you are willing to travel, go to Dr McMahon at Swedish in Seattle. He performs many surgeries, not just the band, RNY, and sleeve. Excellent surgeon and support staff
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/30/11 11:45 am
I'd pick the surgery, then pick the surgeon that can do it. Here in WA, Dr Srikanth in Seattle is the only one that can do the one I'd allow done on me. If you pick the surgeon first, they are just going to sell you whatever surgery they do, which is not the same as what's best for you. 

Ladytazz
on 9/30/11 12:17 pm
Hi neighbor!  I am from Portland.  I don't know of any surgeons in Vancouver but I agree with Bearmom.  See a surgeon that does all the surgeries.  That way you can get the one that is best for you, not just the one they do.
I did go to OHSU and I wouldn't really recommend them.  They have terrible pre op education and practically no post op follow up that is worth anything.  They only check minimal labs unless you fight your ass off and without proper education or research you may not know what labs need to be checked and just trust them and believe me what they do is not enough.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Apple-Jax
on 10/2/11 9:33 pm
I am having mine done at Southwest washington medical after looking at 3 other programs.  I love Dr. Cagle!  Cathy Geir is the cooridnator and she is so nice and helpful!  you should sign up for a seminar and go!  it is free and they will give you all the info you need. cathy handles insurance and will tell you what your will cover.  give them a call and they will help!
warning! there preop stuff is hard core.. it is s good thing though!  there is a support group there also.

Support Group for Fall 2011 WLS! Please come and join!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Fall_2011_WLS/

Love Bird
on 10/3/11 1:55 am - Vancouver, WA
 You know I found that seminar and I really want to go but I have classes on Wednsdays from 6-10. (I am taking night classes so I can become a nurse) I was thinking I could probably skip a class one week so I could go but I would have to wait a few weeks because I am taking finals this week and start a new term the week after next. Just my luck they dont have the seminar the week I have no school...Can I ask you something? Is your PCP at the Vancouver Clinic? 
 When I let go of what I am, I will become what I am supposed to be....
Most Active