newbie here

Sya26
on 12/3/11 11:15 am - CA
Hi all, I have been lurking the forums for a few weeks as a guest and then as a member the last few days.  

I am 27 years old, 5'10 weighing in at 407lbs...I can't believe I'm even telling everyone this but it is what it is...I work full time and I am a full time student, and two kids (not mine...its a long story) anyway...

I have been gathering information about WLS I am in the first stages but I know I want the sugery, the Gastric Sleeve to be exact.  I went to my overview class on 11/29 and asked my doctor for the referral to the 5 hour orientation a few days later. So here I sit waiting.

If anyone has any advice or information for me that would be greatly appreciated. 
Anyone going through or have gone through Kaiser Richmond, CA? All the gory details would be great, I like to be prepared for everything I do and don't like any suprises so I'm trying to gather intel on my own while I wait.
JJ_
on 12/3/11 8:26 pm
Welcome to the OH boards.  Since you are looking for information on the VSG you may want to visit that particular forum for the 'gory details' that you are looking for.  Look near the top of this page for something called 'Forums' - a drop down box lists surgical types, then select from that list.

Good luck in your journey,

Judy
Sya26
on 12/4/11 12:05 pm - CA
Thank you. I will check out that forum...still very much learning the site.
MsBatt
on 12/4/11 7:36 am
The Sleeve is a very good option---but I hope you'll also research the Duodenal Switch/DS. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass to cause dramatic, permanent change in the way our bodies metabolize food. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It's also the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

Kaiser *says* they don't cover the DS---but they do, if you push. If you think you want to go that route, we have many posters on the DS board who'll help you.

You can learn more about the DS here www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/ and here www.dsfacts.com Please visit the DS board and talk with some folks who've ben living with the DS for a few years now. You should also visit the Revision board, here www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/, to get an idea of what happens when WLS doesn't work the first time around.
Sya26
on 12/4/11 12:07 pm - CA
hey, thanks for the info, I plan on doing all my research before making my final decision but I dont think the DS is something I want. I am worried about the possibility of regain with the sleeve but for me it seemed like the best options so far.
MsBatt
on 12/4/11 1:15 pm
Hey, we all have to make our own decision---I just don't want anyone to choose without knowing all the facts. Good luck to you!
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1377 views