Gastric bypass after sleeve

BethR311
on 1/12/12 10:21 am - Fort Wayne, IN
I thought dumping was considered a positive attribute of the RNY, as a built in safeguard against eating too much sugar? By that logic, shouldn't people with sleeves be happy to dump?

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/12/12 10:49 am
I recall a place many years ago called Schick Shadle hospital, that tried to make people quit smoking by shocking them.

It was sadistic, and many had a whole new set of issues after enduring that type of negative reinforcement, but that's what I think of when I see someone saying that dumping is useful.
Phyllis C.
on 1/13/12 2:58 am
I think dumping can be a benefit to people who are sugar addicts and hate dumping more than they love sugar.  I know with my sleeve, I would just start feeling unwell if I ate something like some icecream or cheesecake.  That was enough to keep me from eating much of that kind of yummy gooey stuff.

I am not a sugar addict, nor is my reaction to sugar horrible enough to keep me away from it if I were.  I can also tolerate yummy gooey stuff more now than I could the first couple of years. 

I think the difference between the shocking to get people to quit smoking and dumping is that it is something you can control yourself by not eating the bad stuff.  Sort of an internal torture as opposed to being electrocuted by some "health care proffessional."  I am sure that the reaction to refined carbs is enough to curtail eating too many to DSers who get that reaction.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

MyLady Heidi
on 1/13/12 4:58 am
 The dumping is what keeps me the size I am, if I could eat sweets without consequences I am sure I would and gain, get depressed and gain more.  These sugeries work differently just as there are different people who need different things.  No one surgery is perfect for everyone, even the DS can have regain issues,
NanaB.
on 1/13/12 6:07 am
 Beth,

I think what most people do not UNDERSTAND about dumping is IT LASTS FOREVER. I think most obese people are so desperate to lose weight they THINK that having some type of torture mechanism built in to keep them on track WHILE LOSING WEIGHT is great, but many people don't realize that it lasts forever when the excitement of weight loss is over.

I have friends with RNY and the Sleeve and they explain the dumping to me, if they want to eat something with sugar in it, they plan for if and eat and lie down and pay the consequences, whi*****ludes, shaking nausea, vomiting, rapid heart beat and sometimes fainting, . My sister had stomach stapling surgery years ago she's had sporadic dumping for years not as serious as gastric bypass folks but enough to make her miserable and I've watched her suffer after eating.

Many PEOPLE REGRET DUMPING after YEARS LIVING WITH THAT MISERY, day in and day out, it wears down on you, having to look at ingredients to make sure it has the right amount of carbs and sugar, or you are scared to eat in public at a companies luncheon, or out at a restaurant with your friends, when you lose weight MOST PEOPLE WANT A NORMAL LIFE TOO.

I would lose my mind if I get to old age 65, when I could honestly care less about being very thin and I can't enjoy a nice desert or yummy treats in piece with family.

I was originally going to get RNY, I had the paperwork all done, but I looked my surgeon in the eye and asked him if DUMPING WOULD LAST FOREVER and he said yes, I changed my mind about it, that would really suck to experience dumping forever and still gain weight back after the honeymoon is over and the stomach or pouch stretch back out....just saying. I wish you well and hope you have a dump free life.

Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

MsBatt
on 1/13/12 11:02 am
I have seen countless long-term RNYers post here that no, dumping does NOT LAST FOREVER. Many people say that while they dumped the first few months after surgery, by about Year Three they can eat sugar without consequence---and this is how many people suffer regain.

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/12 8:12 am
Right?? And she swears sleevers are dumping their guts out at the same rates as RNYers. Wtf...
M M
on 1/13/12 8:36 am, edited 1/13/12 8:37 am
 Dumping doesn't last forever?

I thought 7 years and 9 months was close to forever.

Edited because I didn't read the above posts very clearly -- to say -- I still dump.  Nearly daily.  I have to consider what I want vs. the effect it might have on me.  That said, I can eat much more sugar and carbs than I EVER thought possible as an early post op -- which is playing with fire.
(deactivated member)
on 1/13/12 8:40 am
MM does it last forever on all of the same things and in the same quantities or does it change over time? Is it hit or miss that far out?
M M
on 1/13/12 8:48 am
 It changed for me, my husband, my SIL, my MIL and my cousin.

We all dump, but it takes more to trigger an episode long post op.  In the first few months, I'd dump just by looking at 5 grams of sugar, or 1/2 of a potato.  

These days, I can push my limits much higher than I should, but much of the time I can guess by carbohydrate what food is going to through me under the bus.  For example:  I know one Oreo is fine.  Two is juuuuuust okay.  Three?  I am in BED.

The worst offenders are real sugars, dairy milk, fat, carbohydrates... the WORST offenders are foods that contain ALL OF THE ABOVE -- like, ice cream.  I can NEVER, EVER eat real ice cream.  I have near instaneous heart-pounding, nausea, tiredness... and when I climb out of my coma, I have a low blood sugar reaction.  This means, I don't TOUCH foods that cause severe dumping -- and for ME -- it is sometimes a good thing.  Particularly because I gained a lot of my weight on Ben + Jerry's.

I still dump.  I'm not perfect.  I tend to over-do foods that are juuuuust toeing the line of Bad For Me.  Sometimes combinations of foods trigger a problem that I did not expect, sometimes over-eating a "safe" food can cause dumping, forcing the food into the upper intestine too fast -- and BAM.

Most Active