Costco WLS friendly pre-made meals

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/12 8:04 am, edited 2/24/12 8:06 am

Have you guys tried the ready made Chicken Parmesan and Butter Chicken (An Indian curry - but not  spicy  just yummy)  meals from Costco ? 

They're surprisingly low fat  ( about 7 grams /11 grams of fat per serving respectively ) .. contain super tender slow cooked  chicken breast meat  in a very tasty sauce ...

a great  heat and eat meal WLS friendly for me and my family at least  !

momjan
on 2/24/12 9:24 am, edited 2/24/12 7:03 pm - Canada
Throwing cut up boneless chicken breasts, a can of coconut milk and a jar of butter chicken sauce in a crockpot is really easy and fast.

I add large chunks of different colored peppers, chunks of zucchini and onion in as well and you don't even need the rice so you can avoid the 'bad white stuff' in rice.

The prep time is about 10 minutes, cooking time about 6-8 hrs.  Toss it in a crock pot the night before, plug it in in the morning and it's done when you get home.  All in all, you get more food for the money and in reality probably doesn't take you much longer to make this than heat a predone meal......imho!  And better for you cause you are eating veggies not starch.

What I neglected to say is that because most RTE meals have a high salt content, plus a lot of additives, it's so much better to cook from scratch...and the recipe I gave as a sample shows how quick and easy it can be to do it.  I firmly believe that the additives in all the pre-packaged foods really mess with a person's metabolism, but I have no proof of that......

H.a.l.a. B.
on 2/24/12 9:43 am
RNY on 05/14/08 with
I love cooking... but I also love the RTE meals from Costco. I get some when I get too tired to cook and really want some variety. 

A few more things from there: 
- love the packaged marinated wild salmon.   (individually frozen)
- some of the chicken sausages (so low in fat , little spicy)
- and for my BF - he gets the fresh ravioli... I make meat sauce and I have my sauce over veggies.. he gets with the pasta or gnocchi... (also from Costco)

H.a.l.a RNY 5/14/2008    

Need to bitch?  or Rave?  To find new R&R - 3.0 group..- send a PM -  to get included...

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell..."

"So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...." 

Cindy22706
on 2/24/12 10:18 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
I dont have a Costco around me :(

loverofcats
on 2/24/12 10:46 am
Even though the RTE meals are convenient, I find that the sodium content is pretty high. I seem to be more sensitive to salt and even "low sodium" foods are too much for me. The marinated Wild Salmon is good, but it is also high in sodium. I wish my tolerance was higher, so that I might be able to enjoy some of the RTE foods.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

H.a.l.a. B.
on 2/24/12 12:12 pm
RNY on 05/14/08 with
IKWYM. I used to have that problem. Not anymore. I have opposite issue.  Not enough salt in my diet.   I have a low BP post op RNY.  I have to add salt to my foods so I can increase my BP.  I even add salt to my protein cookies... Many days - I forget ...and since I do not  a lot of food... and most is very low salt - the evening meal - or lunch really helps. 
Most my days my daily intake is less than 1000 mg.  There is not much sodium in protein shakes, coffee, or even protein bars... Not enough salt - will not keep the liquids in the body - and I can get  easily dehydrated... (muscles spasms)

H.a.l.a RNY 5/14/2008    

Need to bitch?  or Rave?  To find new R&R - 3.0 group..- send a PM -  to get included...

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell..."

"So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...." 

samsander
on 2/24/12 1:01 pm - CA
The rotisserie chicken is my "go-to" quick meal.

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

akjustagirl
on 2/24/12 3:57 pm
RNY on 04/09/12
Have any of you tried the Aidells Chicken Teryaki meatballs they have there?  They are so delicious!!

Eggface
on 2/25/12 1:41 am - Sunny Southern, CA
The tray of cooked shrimp and ****tail sauce is a go-to meal for me. I also love these chicken burgers

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2010/12/cool-new-product-alert-chicken-burgers.html

but last time I went they had a different brand :( that's the sucky part about Costco you never know whether they will restock something.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling

www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com 

AnneGG
on 2/25/12 5:50 am
I've got a Costco coming near me finally- it won't be for another year but at least I can anticipate it!

Thanks for the heads up, and hopefully they will still be carrying the frozen dinners.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay