Gotta Question

newme_38
on 3/12/12 3:35 am - Randallstown, MD
VSG on 06/12/12
Ok. So I a have started my journey by getting all the tests and attending all these sessions hoping to be Sleeved (or RNY) by June.  But there is one thing that is absolutely scaring me.  I know someone who had the RNY a month ago and she is vomitting everytime she tries to eat something, If not everytime ---alot.  Is this normal?  For those of you that have had WLS of any type,  do you throw up alot?  If so what causes it? 
I do not want to go through the rest of my life vomiting when ever I eat something. 
I want to know how many of you all are doing this.

momjan
on 3/12/12 3:40 am - Canada
I have not vomitted once since surgery 2 years ago.  It is not normal to do so,but does happen to some people.  She should contact her doctor who can make sure all is well with the surgery.

Are you having rny,sleeve or DS?  From what I'v been reading, the DS seems to be the new platinum standard... you might want to research further and discuss with your doctor.  Better to have the best in the beginning than having to have something else done later.........

newme_38
on 3/12/12 4:27 am - Randallstown, MD
VSG on 06/12/12
She did say her doctor said if it continues let him know.  I am hoping to get sleeved but sometimes I think about the bypass.
He who can't be Named
on 3/12/12 3:51 am, edited 3/12/12 3:51 am
No, your friend should not be vomiting. That said, there can be issues with any surgery. Your time would be better spent looking up the data on the different surgeries, and basing it on those facts. What percentage of people have problems post op, get to a normal BMI, etc, with the different surgeries?

I had the band, and picked it in part because it was the "least invasive", which I now know is purely marketing, and my surgeon sold them. I'm working towards a revision, and my next choice is based purely on facts and medical studies. I narrowed it down to the sleeve (if I don't want malabsorption) or DS (if I want malabsorption), and that's it. I don't want post op problems, but looking at longer term issues like dumping, reactive hypoglycemia, and inability to take NSAIDs are quality of life factors to me. Reading some of the studies at PubMed can be very enlightening.

I'm not a fan of RNY, but basing a decision on one persons post op issues of vomiting is NOT a good way to make a choice of surgery that will affect the rest of your life.
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
newme_38
on 3/12/12 4:43 am - Randallstown, MD
VSG on 06/12/12
I will do more research. Is PubMed online?   I want to do more research.

Also I've heard of (don't know personally)  another lady that constantly vomits when she's eating and she has the band.  It was to a point none of her friends wanted to have lunch with her because she would sort of vomit in a napking.  She tried to be undercover with it, but they all noticed it.

But you are right.  I will definitely do more research because I am torn between the Gastric bypass and the sleeve.
Addie1od
on 3/12/12 4:00 am - philadlephia, PA
I am 3 1/2 months post op and have only gotten sick once when i gave into my craving for icecream. there are times when i eat and food just does not exactly settle comfortably but i have not vomited. your friend really needs to check in w/ her dr. asap.
~addie
Be well, and always - take care of you!
a.

Valerie G.
on 3/12/12 4:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 My DS doesn't give me any problems like that. 
I'm making assumptions, but it sounds like your friend is pushing their limits to the RNY.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

newbirthday2812
on 3/12/12 4:11 am - TX
I have heard that if you develop a stricture... where they staple - this will cause you to throw up everything... need to contact  surgeon.   Good Luck
warrenandbrodysmom
on 3/12/12 4:12 am - VICTORVILLE, CA
The only time I have thrown up is if I eat somthing I should not have lol

Robin

Jennifer M.
on 3/12/12 6:13 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 You can get nauseous.  I tend to throw up if I take too big of a bit and don't chew enough or if I eat something I'm just not ready for.   I don't throw up everything, but it can be a slightly unpleasant thing.  Throwing up, btw... is nothing like throwing up before surgery.  It is simply expelling the food with a small amount of foam.  Once you do it, you usually feel better.

Most Active