Protein Preferences--Trying to plan

Bossinaround
on 3/14/12 1:11 pm
I am having surgery in 3 weeks and am trying to plan out what I will need to be prepared food wise after surgery. I have ordered all my vitamins and ordered the Unjury unflavored protein and the Unjury Chicken protein.  My dietician says she seems to think most like them. I don't want to be drinking chocolate shakes for 2 weeks so I am really interested to hear what people are eating for the first 2 weeks after surgery so I can be preared.  Any suggestions on favorite proteins.....I know everyone is different.
Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 3/14/12 5:05 pm - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
Favorite and protein in the same sentence doesn't compute for me. They're all disgusting if you ask me.

I hope your next 3 weeks fly by!
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Michelle from Louisiana

traceyls57
on 3/14/12 9:36 pm
I did the awful protein drinks for almost 4 Years till I found visalus protein shakes. Now I look forward to my shakes and they help me lose weight too. Go to www.traceystafford.bodybyvi.com and check them out. I love that every month they are auto shipped to me. Let me know if u have any questions.

Gp/weight.png[/img]
://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wp3oOyK/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

dani02
on 3/14/12 10:50 pm - Utica, MI
I use Jay Robb Egg White Protein. It's lactose free, gluten free. Tastes really
good to me also. However, I hated every food and flavor right after surgery.
So have a bunch of different flavors cause your taste will change. Get samples
and single serving packest that really helps. The Vitamin Shoppe has many
different protein powders in single serving sizes. Also try Amazon for single
serving sizes. 

Keep your options open and remember "EVERYTHING GETS BETTER
WITH TIME, JUST GIVE TIME, TIME."

Dani 

Dorathea
on 3/15/12 12:38 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
Thanks for recommending the Vitamin Shoppe.  I didn't even think to check them out.  I will be making a trip there this Saturday.

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/12 11:25 pm, edited 3/15/12 12:51 am
You said eating for the first two weeks.  I assume you meant drinking???  My surgeon had me use Syntrax Nectar protein.  It has approx. 25 grams of protein per serving and zero fat and zero carbs.  It mixes great with water, comes in MANY flavors and I love it.  I still drink 2 a day and I am almost three years out of surgery. Syntrax Nectar is available at Vitacost and they have great shipping deals. http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?x=0&y=0&ntk=prod ucts&ss=1&Ntt=syntrax%20nectar   Also, they have great blender bottles that have a surgical steel mixer ball inside. Blender bottles are really nice after surgery because it takes so long to drink your protein. This was you can just shake it up as needed. You can also get them at Vitacost. http://www.vitacost.com/BlenderBottle-Blue
Surgery needs to be a "mind over matter" thing.  Both you, and the surgery, need to make lifelong changes for your body.  So, one of the things I had to teach myself was: "Get over it and DO IT!"  Otherwise, and I have seen it here DAILY, people will complain about what they must eat, what they can no longer eat, then they cheat and then they are feeding their carb addiction, and not making goal or they regain.  So, the time following surgery is the PERFECT time to follow the program to a "T" and don't cut corners.  Now, some people manage to cut corners and will do well but they are in the minority. 

Wishing you much success!

Best,

UtopianDream
on 3/14/12 11:37 pm - St. Ignace, MI
RNY on 01/03/12
My surgeon's program supplied the food 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after.  They are from the Grand Health Partners, which has a website https://store.grandhealthpartners.com
For the first two weeks I lived on their soups, geletins, and hot drinks - each packet is 14 - 16 grams of Protein and can usually be eaten/drank in one sitting.  Their puddings and cold drinks were not good, in my opinion.  Check with your doctor/dietician but these alternatives to shakes kept my sanity the first 2 post-op weeks.

Dorathea
on 3/15/12 12:32 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12

My recommendation is to check out Walmart, GNC, and Bariatric Advantage.  I found some tasty flavors of protein at Walmart.  No yucky protein taste and the flavoring wasn't overpowering.  Also, check out the Lean Shakes at GNC.  High protein and very low carb.  They have powder and ready to drink shakes.  Good luck.  My surgery date is in 13 days   gasp!

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

Bossinaround
on 3/15/12 2:31 pm
I am so excited for you!! I look forward to hesring your story and your progress you are just ahead of me so it will be nice to hear from someone who is currently having surgery.  Good Luck! 
Valerie G.
on 3/15/12 2:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 OMG  - don't drop any money on a big canister of anything yet.  There is NO such thing as unflavored protein, especially as a post-op.  My taste buds were on overload, and everything tasted different.

What I recommend is stocking yourself a bunch of single-servings to try as a post-op and determine what YOU think is worthwile to buy a huge canister of.  That stuff is not cheap, and if you don't like it, you're just throwing money away.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active