It's been 10 years and I have new food issues

Jamy V.
on 3/27/12 12:23 pm - Houston, TX
I can't believe it's been 10 years since my Gastric Bypass. Since the revision, I have been 170-175 lbs for four or five years now. That's 120 pound loss. Can I get a Whoo Hoo!!
I have developed new food issues, obsession, or maybe even an eating disorder. I hate food. Nothing ever sounds good, tastes good or is enjoyable. I eat because I have to. I go into a manic frantic state trying to decide what to eat. I worry about my stomach being upset, getting gas (which to date I still struggle with) or being frustrated over taking two bites and not being able to eat more.  
The worse part (besides the gas) is that I have no problem consuming sugar or carbs. I have never had "dumping" problems. Food is constantly under the microscope. Either I am trying to determine what set off my reflux or gas, or I am trying to remember if I ate today or what I ate. I didn't just lose a friend in food, I gained an enemy.  
When I try to explain all this, I feel like no one understands what I am going through. I've talked to several doctors and nutritionists but get no relief. Is there anyone  out there with a similar problem. If so, what did you do? Sometimes I think that I am more likely to die from malnutrition than a heart attack.
I would really like to know if I am alone in this. Waiting for your responses.......
Jamy V.
Houston Texas
TT 11/2008 178 lbs
CW 04/2008 175 lbs
DS 07/2005 272 lbs
RnY 03/2002 290 lbs

Jack_Fabulous
on 3/27/12 12:33 pm - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
WOO HOOO!!!!!

He who can't be Named
on 3/27/12 1:14 pm
As far as the gas, have you tried a good probiotic? It may take a round of antibiotic like flagyl to knock down any bad bacteria that are having a heyday causing gas, then you need to repopulate, and maintain a healthy population of good gut bacteria. I'd start there, since that seems to be a common cause for constant gas.
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
AnneGG
on 3/27/12 1:56 pm
Whoo hoo! Great work!

And it sounds like an eating disorders therapist might be useful for you. I wish food wasn't such an obsession sometimes for me. And that carbs didn't go down so easy. I still love food, though. I wi**** wasn't such a fair weather friend.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Mary Catherine
on 3/27/12 2:11 pm
 When that happens to me, it is emotional.  I go for long periods when nothing tastes good.  It also has to do with making sure that I don't regain weight.  It is particularly bad around holidays and Easter is a bad one for me with all the candy.  

Dumping only happens to about 30% of us.   Gas is pretty common.  A probiotic might be well worth trying.  I also find that the more busy I am, the less time I have to be concerned with food.

I just grab whatever is easy and available and eat to live, not to enjoy eating.  I wait it out and my appetite and enjoyment of food does come back.  Other people worry that I will get malnourished, but I do not think that is likely to happen.  
JudiJudi T
on 3/27/12 2:11 pm
Congrats and a big Whoo Hoo!  I agree with the previous poster - maybe therapy could help you with some of these issues.   Could Beano help with the gas?  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

M M
on 3/27/12 10:28 pm
 I do this with food and potential food reactions.

I avoid groups of foods most of the TIME just based on What It's Going To Do To My Gut Later.

Fiber, sugar alcohol, soy = Gut Death.  Straight carbs and high-fat/carb combinations = dumping for me.

But. then again, I suppose it's part of coping -- I don't WANT to feel gross -- I am sure you don't?  Many of us have tricky guts...

zix
on 3/27/12 10:36 pm - PA
DS on 02/13/12
Have you tried using a food tracking system like My Fitness Pal? Maybe that would help you identify trends with issues you are having? Congrats on losing and keeping off 120 lbs!
MyLady Heidi
on 3/27/12 11:57 pm
I go back and forth with this sort of food reaction also, where I wonder around the grocery store overwhelmed and usually come out with two lemons and no food.  Its weird.  But for me that doesn't happen all the time, its because I cycle back and forth between obsession over food and not caring, when I don't care I eat more and gain, when I obsess I lose weight and feel better.  There is no happy medium.  Its ******g insanity.  I can't offer advice because if I had some I would take it myself.  I have no idea what normal eating really is.

Good Luck.
Dragonryder2
on 3/28/12 2:49 am - NM
I think most of us don't realize that food addiction isn't like smoking or drinking.  WE HAVE to eat to stay alive so then our addiction becomes about what makes us feel good and what doesn't.

I agree with the probiotics.  I am almost 4 yrs. out and just started taking some.  I feel so much better and the gas issues are WAY better.

Have you had a blood work up done lately.  It could be you have some kind of imbalance that is part of your problem. 

I don't feel anemic, but my blood work up says I am so I'm going to try the Profferin, I think that is what it is called, that you can take anytime of day even with calcium, and see if it works for me better.  I hate the constipation that comes with regular iron.

Anyway, best wishes and good job on the weight loss you have maintained over the last 10 yrs.
Most Active