Anyone start the process and NOT have the surgery?

PoohHag
on 4/3/12 4:46 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
I was wondering if anyone started the process, began exercising, followed the nutrition plan, and never went through the surgery.  I'm wondering if I can follow their plans and make it this time? 

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/12 5:04 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I'm sure there are PLENTY of folks who have gone this route but probably aren't on WLS forums.

If you don't want surgery, check out WW, Jenny Craig, OA or some other group as well.

As far as I know, you are still welcome to hang out on OH if you don't have surgery,
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/3/12 10:00 am, edited 4/3/12 10:01 am
sure they did... and most likely most of the were back to have the surgery 2-3 4 or 5 years later..

I lost weight may times. "on my own"... and then gained it back.. all iof it and then some...
Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/12 10:36 am - Reeseville, WI
I started, chickened out, and got even fatter.  Started again and now wear a size 6 for the past year. 
EthelMae
on 4/3/12 11:04 am - MD
Me.  I started the process in 2007.  My insurance required that I attend 6 nutritional/information classes.  I made it through 5 ov them and the day of the 6th one said forget it - I am not ready for this.

Fastforward to 2010.  Health was getting worse (BP higher, weight higher, diabetes A1C level creeping up, etc.).  This time I knew I was ready to make the committment.  Had surgery in
May 2011.

Only regret - I didn't do it in 2007.

~Barb
Highest - 279 (08/2009)     Program Weight - 256 (03/10)  Surgery Weight - 232 (05/24/11)     

PoohHag
on 4/3/12 11:07 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
Thank you for the honest answers. 

I guess that was my moment of stupidity.  Of course I can't do this on my own.  If I could, I wouldn't be considering surgery. 

Part of me is just still in denial that this is my last best chance.

MsBatt
on 4/3/12 11:33 am
Don't feel bad---only about 4% of MO people can lose and MAINTAIN that loss long-term.
Emily F.
on 4/3/12 12:29 pm, edited 4/3/12 12:29 pm
If you still think you can do it wo wls. Go ahead and try. I gave it 110% for 18 months before my surgery. Did pills, ww, atkins, exercised til I puked, EVERYTHING. I lost 80 lbs and in two months of summer gained 30 lbs. I knew then I COULD NOT DO IT WO WLS.

Give it a go. You need to try before you have wls.
I went into wls in Mexico KNOWING I coudl not do it any other way. You need to give it 100 percent to know for yourself if you NEED surgery.  That would have comforted me if I had complications. I did not have any. But I would have KNOWN it was the way it was suppose to be.
MacMadame
on 4/3/12 1:02 pm - Northern, CA
There are. Why do you think insurance companies require a 6 month diet? It's sure not for your benefit since studies don't support the practice. It's so they can discourage you from getting surgery.

Of course, most of them are back here a year or two later when they gain all their weight back.

The reason to have WLS isn't to lose weight. You can lose weight without it if you stick to a diet. It's to keep it off. WLS gives us hunger control so that we can stick to a diet and keep the weight off instead of being starving all the time like most of us are pre-op.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

MONICASNEWLIFE
on 4/3/12 1:27 pm
meeeeeeee, at the age of 26 then at the age of 28  i *****ked out.. i thought that i could do it by dieting and pills and everything else i was scared of dying..... and at the age of 30 i hit my highest weight of 286 and i thought, enough is enough.. this time im going to go throught with it even if it kills me(i was dying slowly anyways, had gerd, diabetes, depression, and lost  of other sickeness...) not only was i suffering but my husband and kids were suffering with me... i made them recluses because i was to embarrased to go out....  so i got the guts, put my self in the hands of the lord and my dr.. and here i am almost 4 months later....
"Caterpillar in my cocoon, I'm gonna be a butterfly soon.
  I'm a little butterfly, I can soar through the sky. So glad I ended up like this, Thanks to metamorphosis".

hw 286 pre op 276 sw 263 cw 214  13lbs lost pre-op slowly but surely!!    
Most Active