A card to order smaller portions at a restaurant

MarilynT
on 4/5/12 10:56 am
I agree with all who said don't waste your time...or the time and patience of the restaurant. Share an entree, choose something from the appetizer menu, or take leftovers home. I have also had GREAT success in simply asking if they can make me something not on menu; I don't explain WHY other than to say I do not have a great appetite and hate to waste food, having witnessed true poverty in my travels. They are usually more than happy to accomodate and I don't have to talk about my personal health history.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

mirlyn2012
on 4/5/12 12:13 pm - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
 Lol y'all they were asking how to get one, not SHOULD THEY get one. Jeez. Just because you have one doesn't mean you'll use it either. I haven't used mine but I keep it on me (my surgeon asks us to keep it on us for the NO NG TUBE on the back if we don't have medical alert bracelets yet.) 

I don't see the card as being what the restaurantier would resent but maybe the THIS IS OWED TO ME attitude some card carriers may have. If I want a kids meal and they say no and I decide to show my card as a last ditch effort and they still say no? So be it. Honestly though I pick off other peoples plates as of right now and order a 2.00 a la carte item sooooooo they'd get more money out of me with the kids meal lol.
      .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.Miranda.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.      
rbb825
on 4/5/12 12:30 pm - Suffern, NY
first off, we can have an NG tube, we cant have a blind NG tube - there is a big difference.

Most people dont have both on the same card - I have never heard of them being on the same card.

I personally love leftovers - I order extra so I have what to take home, I hate to cook

MacMadame
on 4/5/12 1:10 pm - Northern, CA
 My card has them both plus surgeon contact info, a picture of the surgery and a list of possible complications to look out for early pre-op. 

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/12 1:24 pm - Mexico
On April 5, 2012 at 7:13 PM Pacific Time, mirlyn2012 wrote:
 Lol y'all they were asking how to get one, not SHOULD THEY get one. Jeez. Just because you have one doesn't mean you'll use it either. I haven't used mine but I keep it on me (my surgeon asks us to keep it on us for the NO NG TUBE on the back if we don't have medical alert bracelets yet.) 

I don't see the card as being what the restaurantier would resent but maybe the THIS IS OWED TO ME attitude some card carriers may have. If I want a kids meal and they say no and I decide to show my card as a last ditch effort and they still say no? So be it. Honestly though I pick off other peoples plates as of right now and order a 2.00 a la carte item sooooooo they'd get more money out of me with the kids meal lol.

That's the cool thing about posting on message boards, we all get to post as we want and nobody gets to tell us we can't post our opinions.

This is a hot topic, people really hate those cards.  They embarrass us as a whole and people are going to post their opinions.

MrsLitch
on 4/5/12 2:39 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
" They embarrass us as a whole" that is a pretty broad statement.. they don't embarrass me at all. In fact why would what someone else uses bother me or anyone else.
I am still pre-op have never head of them before this thread and don't think I'd bother as my kids eat off the adult menu so if I want a kids meal I can still order one without "cheating".
For some who may be living on a strict budget this may mean they can eat out once a month.. who am I (or anyone else) to stop them?

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/12 2:49 pm - Mexico
On April 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM Pacific Time, MrsLitch wrote:
" They embarrass us as a whole" that is a pretty broad statement.. they don't embarrass me at all. In fact why would what someone else uses bother me or anyone else.
I am still pre-op have never head of them before this thread and don't think I'd bother as my kids eat off the adult menu so if I want a kids meal I can still order one without "cheating".
For some who may be living on a strict budget this may mean they can eat out once a month.. who am I (or anyone else) to stop them?

As you say, you haven't even had surgery.  Stick around and see the stories of how people scream, yell, and demand their discount.  It's embarrassing.

But if you don't care, so be it.  No skin off my nose.

And if someone is living on a strict budget, that is not the fault of the restaurant owner and he doesn't owe the WLS person anything.  The restaurant owner is probably on a very tight budget as well.

The restaurant owner is the one to stop them and rightfully so, that's who.
rbb825
on 4/5/12 2:55 pm - Suffern, NY
I am on   a very strict budget and that is why when I go out, I get enough for several meals but if I cant afford it, I dont go.  I would never ask for a childs portion or for half price meal.

kardon
on 4/7/12 5:10 am
People on strict budgets should make healthful meals at home.

MacMadame
on 4/5/12 1:11 pm - Northern, CA
Btw, you don't need a card to order of the kid's menu or ask for a half serving. Just ask!

I do these sort of things all the time and they always say yes and I don't have to explain my medical history or go into information that  is none of their business.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1215 views