Refusal to release my medical records.

glzgowlass
on 4/26/12 10:55 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
 Yeah, it's a refusal only because I don't want to be goudged by them, that's true and sadly it's legal.  

This just hasn't happened before and the request did come from my new doctor not me.  This is an office to office request that they want me to pay for at the maximum amount they are allowed to charge.

Now I know some places do this, I will be getting copies as I need from now on.  Although my new doc doesn't charge and it's kept in e-records.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Dave Chambers
on 4/26/12 1:58 am - Mira Loma, CA
My insurance company also charged for medical copies. I needed a copy of my medical files for disability many years ago. We had to pay.  My wife needed copies for her disability retirement, and we paid again.  But these were not "within the same medical group" as may be your case. If this PCP is within the same group, I'd think files could easily be electronically sent or copies as a courtesy to another doc within the group. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

SandieMc49
on 4/26/12 2:07 am

While YOU may have to pay for copies of your own medical record, a doctor requesting them is usually done without charge; doc to doc that is.

That is the case here in MA - but I don't know about your state.  It's worth checking!

glzgowlass
on 4/26/12 10:59 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
 Sadly in VA it depends on the practice.  Here they often don't charge when it is doctor to doctor, but this lot is choosing to do it and at the maximum amount the law allows them to charge.  They also wanted to charge postage because they won't fax them over.  Because of my co-morbidities pre WLS my file is pretty big.  

I really like my new practice who don't charge like this apparently, and if they really need something specific from the old practice then I'll pay for that but hopefully I can just fill in the blanks with them while they compile this new record.

Michelle V.
on 4/27/12 12:31 am - Livonia, MI
I know it sucks to have to pay to get YOUR medical records. But it sounds like you are better off to get a copy & pay the extortion fee & make a 2nd copy to give to your new doctor.

& with your new doctor - always ask for a copy of what ever they are doing so you can add to your personal records.
Jessica G.
on 4/27/12 1:03 am - UT
I  read this on a post...Maybe it will help

I requested a copy of my records. His staff said that I could not get a copy of my records until I paid the balance owed. I had lost my job and simply did not have the money. I told my story to multiple doctors, and they all said, "I don't think he can do that" but didn't offer any advice on how to solve my problem until I told my nurse practitioner. She lowered her voice and told me that he is violating the hippocratic oath, to do no harm..... and that I needed to file a complaint with the medical board. Hesitantly, I did it. Two weeks later, I had my records!
~*Jessica G.*~
Doing 6 month supervised diet

glzgowlass
on 4/28/12 2:02 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
 That's awful, but at least it had a happy ending. Medical professionals need to eat so I don't expect them to work for free, but my outlook is that it is primarily a calling and the doctors primary goal shoul be aiding patients not seeking to goudge  every last dime out of u. some do that and some don't. 

I sat next to a girl in college one day who was going to go to medical school. I don't recal exactly what she said one day but she left me the impression that she was in it less for the helping people aspect of it and more about how much money she should make. I remember thinking that I pitied her future patients. 

Having said that, I've had more positive experience with doctors over the years than bad ones. Especially in the UK where I'm originally from. I also loved the doctors I had in Florida when I was trying to get pregnant. They really did care and I was lucky because they didn't e ven charge me all that they could. 

barber64
on 4/30/12 1:04 pm - Temecula, CA
VSG on 06/06/12

glzgowlass,

I know how you feel. I was shock when they said I had to pay for them.
I paid $21.00 for my son and $15.00 for mine. which was weird. because for my son they had someone from outside company to do my sons and I know his file was small. meaning he started seeing the PCP less then a year. as for mine my PCP office did mine which I have over 4 years of records and mine cost less.

but over all I'm glad I got a copy. I scan them to my PC. 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1392 views