What is involved in the Pre-op appointment?

ButGod357
on 5/10/12 5:49 am, edited 5/10/12 10:45 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 06/12/12
 I am new to the process and need some help.  Pre-Op Appointment was is that? I have all my doctor's office is preparing to send my file over to the Ins. Co. for approval. I was given the co-pay of my pre-op appointment and it was kind of high (to me anyway). What is involved in the pre-op appointment process?
(deactivated member)
on 5/11/12 1:32 am - WA
how high was it? Is the pre op appt the very first one?
ButGod357
on 5/11/12 5:05 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 06/12/12
 The pre-op is not the first appt. but the one before sugery. I have a better understanding now. I am not paying a co-payment but co-insurance due before sugery.
paranoidmother21
on 5/11/12 1:51 am - Lake Zurich, IL
That depends entirely on your surgeon's office!

My pre-op was actually done via phone and was just to ensure that I was ready for surgery that week.

My initial consult was 2 hours; I met with the physician assistant who confirmed that I was eligible for weight loss surgery and gave me an overview of the surgeries that office performed. I then met with the surgeon to do another overview of surgeries, and discuss my thoughts about what I was looking for and their reasonableness. I then met with the PA again who gave me referrals for pre-op testing (gall bladder ultrasound, labs, psych eval, nutritionist visits, and sleep test if I needed it).

Those were really all I had to do in that office. I did need to attend at least one support group pre-op (I did 4, I chose to schedule my surgery a bit farther out because of scheduling issues at work), and I did meet with the nutritionist 2 or 3 times, as well as a lot of communication via email, but the surgeon's office was a breeze.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

ButGod357
on 5/11/12 4:58 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 06/12/12
 Thank you for the information.
Sherry T.
on 5/11/12 2:06 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
My insurance did not require a referral from my PCP so I had a consult first with my surgeon and then went back to my PCP and said this is what I need and she ordered the tests that could be done near home (I'm about 3 hrs from dr's office) and provded the letter of medical necessity to my surgeon's office.  Once they had all the test results they faxed it over to the insurance...It took about a week for approval.    I have really good insurance through BCBS so I know the process wasn't nearly as bad as others.   I have my pre-op on Monday with my surgeon where I will go over everything I need to do before surgery (currently on a liquid diet) and get my bloodwork done at the hospital and see the nutritionist.   The surgeon will check me out and clear me for surgery.   May 22nd, I'm beginning a whole new life!     Hang in there!! 
ButGod357
on 5/11/12 5:01 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 06/12/12
 Great info! I have BCBS of NC and they have been wonderful and have asked all my questions. Hopefully I will have a date soon!
ButGod357
on 5/11/12 4:52 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 06/12/12
 OK! So I went to my doctor's office this morning and I have a better understanding. It is not a co-payment for the pre-op appointment that I will be paying. They were giving me the cost of my co-insurance that must be paid prior to sugery, which is around $320. That is not bad considering how much the sugery cost. Well now I am waiting on approval and sugery date. Ohhhh so excited! Hopefully by the end of June I will be on the other side of this.
paranoidmother21
on 5/11/12 5:47 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Congratulations!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Most Active