Ridiculed in public
shining_starre · 46 replies · 2338 views
Rushing
magoo1017 · 46 replies · 1496 views

Shrinking liver before surgery

pwoo10
on 5/31/12 1:09 pm - IN
RNY on 06/06/12
So yesterday at 4:30 pm as I was walking out of work I get the call......my surgery date is June 6th.  WTH.  I want it, but how will I get my liver to shrink before them?  They said 1200 calories per day until 2 days prior and then clear liquids.  I dont' see how 7 days of dieting is going to help.  Am I freaking out over nothing since my dr. isn't? 

Oh by the way... MY SURGERY IS WEDNESDAY and I'm excited.

MsBatt
on 5/31/12 1:39 pm
Relax.

You're right, to actually shrink your liver would take far longer than 7 days. Most pre-op diets aren't really aimed at 'shrinking' the liver---at best, they exhaust the glycogen stores in the liver, making it less 'slippery' to handle. Any high-protein, low-carb diet will do this in 7 days. Eat lots of meat, avoid bread/rice/pasta/sweets, and you'll be good to go.

Good luck!
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 6/1/12 9:05 am
Thanks Ms Batt - that was good advice and I learned something again on here today.
Jen 10 yrs post op RNY
MsBatt
on 6/1/12 12:09 pm
On June 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM Pacific Time, Jenni_9yrspostop wrote:
Thanks Ms Batt - that was good advice and I learned something again on here today.
Jen 10 yrs post op RNY
You're most welcome!  I often learn things from you, too. (I consider a day wasted if I don't learn at least one thing. *grin*)
rabid24
on 5/31/12 1:44 pm
I really don't know, some doctors don't require a pre-op diet at all. I'm having surgery on the 6th as well and I'm on day 5 of my pre-op diet. I would imagine that if your doctor is OK with it, you should be too !

Revised from band to sleeve on June 6th, 2012. Lost 48 pounds on my own in the 4 months prior to revision. 

Neal R.
on 5/31/12 2:18 pm - Wylie, TX
Lap Band on 05/09/06 with
My doctor did not even require a pre op diet. He said he had never had any difficulties performing the surgery because of the liver.

http://www.nealslapband.com/
Banded May, 9, 2006 by Dr. Cribbens. Abdominoplaty on 02/11/08
TT pics: http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=4974

Facebook: Neal Riggins (Wylie, Texas)
Twitter: @NealRiggins
(deactivated member)
on 5/31/12 2:35 pm
My surgeon never requires it and he has performed over 6,000 laparoscopic RNY surgeries. 
wendydettmer
on 5/31/12 3:05 pm - Rochester, NY
my surgeon didn't require a preop diet either, other then the 24 hours liquid prior.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Esta F.
on 5/31/12 4:21 pm - IL
RNY on 07/25/12
Congrats!  You'll be fine!

pwoo10
on 6/1/12 4:28 am - IN
RNY on 06/06/12
Well??????????????????????????    Have you heard anything?
Esta F.
on 6/1/12 8:05 am - IL
RNY on 07/25/12
I was denied a 3rd time because i haven't had the class about post-op care, and BCBS requires that for approval :(  but we're doing a peer to peer next week and if that doesn't work then they're gonna just schedule me in the class and i'll get approved that way, but it will take much longer.  It is what it is.....i'm soooo happy for you!  let me know how everything is going!

pwoo10
on 6/1/12 8:26 am - IN
RNY on 06/06/12
It's the little things that get in the way.  Glad you have an insight to what you need.  I look forward to you and I on the losers bench.

Esta F.
on 6/1/12 8:48 am - IL
RNY on 07/25/12
i'll meet you there real soon!  i'm sure i'll have plenty of questions for you when i finally get there!  be ready..lol

JJ_
on 6/1/12 1:44 am
You can do it!  I had to do 3 weeks of Optifast before surgery.  Yes 4 shakes per day, plus a minimum of 2 litres of liquid.  I could also have SF jello and broth.

Remind yourself that June 6th is just around the corner.  The pre-op diet will not last long.  Keep drinking fluids and eating protein with veggies and occasionally some fruit.  Keep your chin up.

Judy
RosanneH
on 6/1/12 2:47 am - Hot Springs Village, AR
RNY on 06/06/12 with
I am also having my Gastric Bypass the 6th of June and I had to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery. No solid food what so ever!! Something about fatty liver and shrinking it. I think it is just to get you used of not eating solid food for a while and getting you to lose some weight before surgery.  I am sure it will all be worth it in the final outcome. I am 66 years old and can't wait to be slim again, and hopefully get rid of this diabetes! I guess each Dr is different in his approach to WLS. Only 6 more days, I hope I am doing the right thing.~~~Rosanne
barriegirl26
on 6/19/12 3:04 pm - Barrie , Canada
RNY on 07/13/12
i have to do 4 weeks of teh shake diet what kind of broth could you have?

JJ_
on 6/19/12 3:59 pm
Chicken, beef or vegetable broth.  I imagine that wonton broth would be fine (without the wontons or veggies or pork).
(deactivated member)
on 6/1/12 5:00 am
 hi pwoo
i am also having surgery on the 6th and my dr recommends all liquids for me for 2 weeks. i am on day 10 and doing well. he said it was to shrink the liver as much as i can so its easier for the surgery. i asked was it because of my size and he said no that he (my surgeon) has all his patients do this liquid liver diet.

chicken broth (mixed w/drained chicken soup broth) is very filling :)
pwoo10
on 6/1/12 6:14 am - IN
RNY on 06/06/12
Thank you everyone.  I am doing all liquids until Monday and then switching to clear for Monday and Tuesday.  Hopefully that will help a little.

fawnracene
on 6/2/12 6:33 am
RNY on 06/06/12 with
 Thats My surgery Date too. I have been freaking out about this diet as well and how my liver is going to shrink/ Look. Good luck to you!!!!