Looking for Low Carb High Protein meals (pre-made)

lady_myst
on 8/27/12 10:11 am
I hear you loud and clear on the hectic schedule!!  I am a single mom of a 6 and now 9 year old (her birthday is today!  my baby is 9!  when the heck did that happen?!?)  and I have a full time job and a part time job.  We also plan my days off so we are doing something fun and active so there is littttttle time to cook.  The crock pot is my friend.  Here is how I do it.

Sundays are my slow days...ROFLMAO...sorta.  I start three crocks in the morning before the running begins.  One is full of chicken breasts.  One has 90% lean ground beef.  The other usually has like a roast or ground turkey...whatever i have.  Let em cook all day while we are busy having family time.  Around supper time everything is done.  I start with the chicken.  I cut it into cubes or strips.  Some i put in freezer bags for the family for meals on the quick during the week.  Some i portion into 2 ounce servings for lunches on the quick.  (i know i can comfortably eat 2 ounces of chicken at a time...thats why i make this size.  Just got a cheap scale and started using it.  My eyes STILLLL lie to me about how big a portion is.  This takes the guess work out of it.)  Label and freeze.  Takes maybe 10 minutes.  Next i drain the hamburger and rinse it.  (because i just rinse it okay!  lol)  Then I portion that into family size.  I had to learn to make things both the kids and I can eat.  This was my consession.  Less taste when you rinse but we season and seasoning is free calories!  (things we like the most with this?  Tacos!  i add seasoning to the beef.  I get ff refried beans (watch daily carb counts!) and add protein powder to them and i get low fat or fat free cheese.  I go shell less and eat like a salad.  Kids get the shells.)   I put it in freezer bags label and freeze for meals on the quick.  time: 5 to 10 minutes.  Lastly, I use some of the roast for sunday supper.  I chunk some of it up with the veggies for a stew like meal (i add protein powder to the "gravy".  the kids get it with buiscuts or cresant rolls.  mom gets it without or occasionally i will endulge with a carb smart piece of toast...tho not often as it is hard to stay under carbs as it is and I reeeeallly have to plan to have that one damn piece of toast.  lol  plus i dont digest the bread well.)  Some i will slice into 2 ounce portions for lunch on the quick.  some i will freeze into family meal portions for roast beef sandwiches for kids and roll ups for me.  time...10 minutes. 

Meanwhile....lol.  when i start to do the crocks, i put on a pot of water and boil a dozen eggs.  When they are done, I simply cool them and refrigerate them.  Good for breakfast lunch or supper on the quick. 

In under an hour, I have prepared a weeks worth (and more) of meat.  Durning the week, i can have a healthy meal for my family on the table in 15 minutes or less because all i have to do is pull it out of the freezer in the morning and throw it in the frige.  add some veggies and wah lah!  healthy food.  fish takes only a short time to quick.  tuna fish is SUPER quick! 

wish i knew how to post links!  i found something from the newsletter from OH and use it as a grocery list guide.  It was from a chef they feature.  ugh!  I printed it off and keep it on my fridge.  If you dont have time to cook he listed ready made things you can get on the cheap instead of eating crap.  I will try to find and post.  ...

OH!!  another thing i LOVE LOVE LOVE to get is a rotissery (yeah its spelled wrong..lol) chicken from the store!!  the kids and I enjoy it the first night.  THen i use the rest of the meat for veggie and chicken soup or chicken and veggie pot pie (again kids get the buscuits and mom gets the middle.  just make a "gravy" and add protein powder to it.)  another way i love to use the left over chicken is with the bariatric advantage veggie soup protein mix.  I just add the chicken and veggies to the protein soup, season with some garlic salt and portion it into my little containers for soup when i need it. 

You can certainly spend the money on premade meals.  I think there can be a lot of salt and preservations in them so be careful.  HOWEVER, you dont need to spend the cash.  Find an hour somewhere and make your own fast food!  Fresher and better and it goes with the new way of thinking and eating in my opinion.  Hope some of these ideas help you out!  (btw...i HATE to cook.  But i feel guilty if i dont cook for the kids.  Plus, to be honest, we ate a TON of fast food before surgery.  So learning to cook and feel good about it really helped with changing the way I view food.  Sure, weigh****chers and lean cuisine make some good things that i have used in a pinch, but i am frugal.  lol.

Most Active