NeuroCardiogenic Syncope

Ruth S.
on 9/4/12 7:28 pm - Orlando, FL
 Hi, I am 8 yrs post op from original surgery and everything has gone pretty good. Suddenly in the middle of 2011 I started to faint at work, and started to faint several times with unpredicted time periods. Ending up going to a cardiologist who made this diagnosis after running some tests and saying that he has several bariatric patients who have a hydration deficiency and ordered me to take Thermatabs (salt supplements), drink 64oz of water/gatorade and compression hose. Well I did it for a whiel and forgot about it and was fine for a while. In the meantime I had a weight gain of about 30 lbs which I felt aweful and ended up having a distal RNY revision this year. And I believe it triggered the deficiency again (I had forgotten about the hydration rules) and started fainting again two weeks ago. When I called the cardiologist the nurse reminded me of what I was supposed to do and I started do it (except the 64oz of water) but I did do some drinking. But within 6 days I almost fainted again...(9th time)...and so today I went to see the nurse practitioner and she said that it was due to hydration (and interestingly enough when I was in the ER all those times I felt better after getting an IV). She re-iterated the drinking of the 64oz because I was doing the Thermatabs and wearing support socks and drinking (but not as much). So here I am today..writing about it because I see ppl post about other deficiencies (anemia, calcium, hair loss, etc) but never hydration issues.  I thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone in OH-dom has had this experience or knew of someone that had that experience. According to the NP she said even non-RNY ppl have this issue but I've never heard of it and have checked some of the forums and no one has ever listed it happening to them.  Just curious if there is anyone else out there with the same issue? Thanks
Ruth S.
hollykim
on 9/5/12 8:05 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
so sorry you are having the issue. Know nothing about it myself and have never seen ths diagnosis associated with post RNY, but have seen lots of post go by that speak of unexplained fainting issues. Maybe this is what they have and it has never been formally diagnosed, IDK>

You just have to drink the water I guess. Sound counterintuitave.to have to take diuretics and drink more water but that is how some things work,i guess.

Keep us posted,drink the water and hope things get better.
GL

Ruth S.
on 9/5/12 4:14 pm, edited 9/4/12 9:15 pm - Orlando, FL
Thanks for writing..at least I know Im not alone!! And Im making a conscious effort to DRINK water..and leaving some of the soda behind. Taking the Thermatabs and making sure i meet the requirement of 64oz, plus taking a glass to bed and drinking before I get up. I pray that will wor****il I stablize, Im trying hard not to lose my job!
Ruth S.
Most Active