20 pounds to lose BEFORE surgery???

NurseBonBon
on 10/11/12 1:58 am - El Paso, TX
 Did any one else have to lose weight before the surgery?

I thought it was a bit much and what if t puts me out of the surgery zone? i have gained and lost and regained weight in the past. I'm so frustrated. 

Mom4Jazz
on 10/11/12 3:06 am
How tall are you?

20 lbs may or may not put you out of the BMI range for surgery, and many folks ask this question, but they typically go with your starting weight not your weight after your pre-op diet.

I don't know why some folks have to do this. Do you know if the requirement is from your doctor or your insurance company? 

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

NurseBonBon
on 10/11/12 3:18 am - El Paso, TX
 I'm about 5'7, 5'8 on a good day? I think it's an insurance requirement.
I hope they do go with the starting weight. I learned that they hook the patients up with nutritionists and a gym membership for 3 months to help the surgical candidate to lose the 20 pounds. Either way I'm motivated to lose the weight but I just hope to do it in a healthy manner.

Mom4Jazz
on 10/11/12 3:47 am
That does put your BMI pretty borderline, but as I said, they typically use your starting weight for insurance approval.

I'd check on something...what height does the surgeon's office have you at, and what BMI does your insurance require for surgery? I ran your 245 ticker weight at 5'7" and got a BMI of 38.4. Most insurance companies require a BMI of 40 unless you have several co-morbidities.

poet_kelly
on 10/11/12 3:30 am - OH
I know some surgeons require patients to lose a certain percentage of weight before surgery.  I don't know if some insurance companies require it as well.  Unless your current weight makes surgery too risky for you, I don't see the point, personally.  I'm glad my surgeon did not ask me to lose any weight before surgery, but if I had to in order to have surgery, I would have done it.

Usually they go with your starting weight, but if losing 20 lbs will make your BMI too low to qualify for surgery, I would check with your insurance company to make sure that will not disqualify you from having surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NurseBonBon
on 10/11/12 3:32 am - El Paso, TX
 that's a good idea. I'll call the insurance and see if it is an actual requirement.
But if I have to lose the 20 pounds then I better get to walking! :) 
lizpete
on 10/11/12 3:34 am - Marlboro, MA
My dr explained it by saying they wanted me to be "committed" and not to splurge on my "final meals".  Nothing about insurance  just wanted to be sure I was committed.

NurseBonBon
on 10/11/12 3:46 am - El Paso, TX
 Commited? Wow I guess that is a nice way to transition into it. 

For the ones that have already had WLS would you recommend it or would you do again knowing what you know now?
Mom4Jazz
on 10/11/12 3:50 am
For me, absolutely. I'm 5'8" and weighed almost 75 lbs more than you. I had a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (sleeve or VSG). Here's the before and after:

NurseBonBon
on 10/11/12 4:06 am - El Paso, TX
 Holy Smoke Mom4Jazz! You look awesome! 
Great results!