Impacted Bowel*Warning this is not for the squeamish*

huskergalWsD
on 10/15/12 4:58 am
I can't believe i'm reading these posts , people using stool softner on a daily basis.. I had this same problem twice after wls. discovered it was the artifical sweetners doing it to me and right after i ate some little Debbie snacks did it to me also. i started eating FF refried beans and drinking alot of water with it and things started moving very smooooothly..I too have had to pull out some poop when it got so hard inside of me, But i did it.. it mostly happened when i ate the little Debbie snack . it was the oatmeal cookie snack cakes that i craved at first. I stopped eating those and things got so much better..Last episode on Dr. Oz show they talked about how artifical sweetners does this to our bowels....good luck. Peace\/ Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

NHPOD9
on 10/15/12 7:41 am
 I think you are pretty lucky if you have only suffered from constipation twice in the years since your WLS. 

Stool softeners, from what I have read and have been told by my PCP, are non-habit forming and safe to use.  Unlike laxatives, your body does not become dependent upon them.  

Believe me, I have tried a variety of options to solve this ongoing issue.  If my current ****tail could be avoided, I would give it up in an instant.  But the 4 softenors and 4 probiotics give me the most consistent success, and I wouldn't give that up at this point to muck around with other solutions.  

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Cinderella50
on 10/15/12 9:34 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
 Thanks for posting this and being so honest about what you have to do to get it out! I have experienced the impactedness, pain and misery that you described. I have never had constipation before so this is all new to me and I now have a new found respect for those who suffer with it all the time. I have had to use repositories just to go, to get those rocks out! Now I take the stool softener every day with a fiber supplement and a dulcolax about every third day. I am hopeful this will pass. My surgeon says it takes about 3 months to work itself out. ( Just in time for the hairless to kick in!!!!!) :(lol