shining_starre · 46 replies · 2369 views
So confused! What do you guys think?
ipray · 46 replies · 945 views
Rushing
magoo1017 · 46 replies · 1513 views

Hiatial hernia, 10+ years out from RNY

MsBatt
on 10/17/12 7:30 pm
My SIL has one. She had one when she had her RNY, 10+ years ago, and they *supposedly* fixed it. It's hurting her really badly now.

Any suggestions?
hollykim
on 10/17/12 7:51 pm - Nashville, TN
DS on 03/05/13
I hacve developed one 2.8 months out from VSG. Saw a surgeon and he said th only remedy for me was to revise to a RNY,since I already had a sleeve.

I don't know for sure but I don't think there is anything else to do after a RNY has already been done.
Good luck to her.

they may be able to go in annnd repair it again did they use mesh the first time? or do a nissan fundoplication?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/18/12 6:26 am
VSG on 10/09/12 with
Holly, this is my worst fear and I specifically spoke to my surgeon about it yesterday at my appointment. He said he fixed mine with some strong non resolvable stitches, behind the esophagus. I couldn't quite understand so he drew me a picture. Anyway, no mesh. He said that the tissue around where the stitches were placed may become frail and this causes the hernia to come back in 10% of cases. I asked him about what that would mean and he said probably another operation down the road, not before a year, and trying to fix it again. He never mentioned revision to RNY. He did say that the result of it opening up again could be reflux so treatment for reflux could also be the strategy if a surgical option was not one. I don't understand why a revision would be necessary? To reduce the acid reflux?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

hollykim
on 10/18/12 12:10 pm - Nashville, TN
DS on 03/05/13
interesting. yes,I have reflux also and though this surgeon said the hernia wouldn't make the reflux worse,I don't believe that is true. I would,personally,take Dr. Gagner's word over this person I talked to. I wasn't overly impressed with him.

Yes and reducving the acid reflux is why he recommended the bypass. don't knoow if he would have repaired the hernia during the bypass or not...

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/18/12 12:23 pm
VSG on 10/09/12 with
So what did you do in the end? You still have yr sleeve, right? Just treating the reflux or will you go in to repair the hernia? My worst nightmare....I didn't even know I had the blasted hernia. Two endoscopies did not see it!!! Gagner said it was considerable. But I never had reflux. He said that this is a good thing so maybe even if I will be in the 10% who see it open again, I won't get the reflux....dreaming....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

hollykim
on 10/18/12 3:56 pm - Nashville, TN
DS on 03/05/13
yes,still have my sleeve and still love it and would do it over again in a flash. just dealing with the reflux,with mjedication. Just saw this surgeon Tuesday this week.

I so don't want a revision,and certainly not to a bypass. I know many have had no trouble with theirs and love them,but I just want my sleeve.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/18/12 3:59 pm
VSG on 10/09/12 with
Hang in there! Maybe it can be restitched somehow? There must be a hiatal hernia genius surgeon out there somewhere.

hollykim
on 10/18/12 6:54 pm - Nashville, TN
DS on 03/05/13
thanks for your support,I am hanging in. Ws actually thinking about contacting Dr. Gagner tyo see what he thinks,lol.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/19/12 3:41 am
VSG on 10/09/12 with
I know a few people are down on him for heaven knows what rumours and non personal first hand experience, I can only be grateful to his skill as a surgeon. He and I have been in touch since November of last year to plan this VSG and he has been nothing but professional and caring. I would go to him in a heartbeat. Let me know if you don't already have his email.

hollykim
on 10/19/12 6:44 am - Nashville, TN
DS on 03/05/13
yeah,I know about non personal first hand experience,lol. and yes,I would like his email. thx!

meeow2
on 10/18/12 5:00 am
 They sewed the "biggest hiatal hernia surgeon'd ever seen"  up during my RNY .    I would advise STOP taking all drugs related to stomach acid, stop eating fat   and  she'll feel fine .  The drugs CAUSE  most of the problem , the excess fat causes the rest .

Stonach acid strength and amount  is directly proportional to fat intake.  Contary to  American Myth ... we do NOT needto eat ridiculous amounts of oils and fats to survive lol .

M M
on 10/18/12 5:39 am
 I assume she's been back to the surgeon -- and got a endoscopy done?
MsBatt
on 10/18/12 1:26 pm
Her surgeon has retired, but yes, she's seen others. An endocsopy only verified her hernia. Her esophagus is also enlarged.

Sh hasn't been abel to eat well for several months now. On the plus side, she's the thinner than she's ever been before. (SO not a good thing!)
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/18/12 3:30 pm, edited 10/18/12 3:31 pm
VSG on 10/09/12 with
It can't be restitched? Dr Gagner told me that it was an option, if mine opens up again.