UPDATE: Help! Severe hair loss six years out! Ideas?

StephanieF.
on 10/27/12 12:08 pm

Hey everyone! I wanted to let you all know what has gone on in my quest to figure out why my hair was falling out by the handsful.

Initially I asked my general practitioner for help, so he tested my thyroid,iron, etc. My iron was a bit low overall, so he prescribed a 325 mg iron tablet. Nothing changed.

When I was at the dermatologist for another issue, I mentioned the hair loss to her.She tested my hormones, iron, etc., and found that my ferritin was low...at 7 when it would be up to like 130+ when normal. However, when I asked about a ferritin infusion, she said she didn't think it was low enough to warrant an infusion. However, they would be willing to prescribe Propecia, but told me how risky that drug can be, causing elevated potassium levels, etc.  I said no, thanks.

I finally called my WLsurgeon's office and asked for help. The nurse said that if my ferritin was at 7, that's definitely why my hair was falling out and I needed to see a hematologist asap. She got me a referral, and I went to see him the next week. He said I definitely needed ferritin,and B-12, too.  I was given an IV infusion of Ferraheme twice, one week apart. Within a few days of the second one, the number of hairs in my hand in the shower had already gone from 80 to 8...seriously. It has already made a huge difference. I am so thankful!  

Please, take your iron faithfully and have your blood tested for all your iron levels, not just your overall iron score. Even taking it faithfully, you might not absorb enough to keep your normals level. You need to ask for bloodwork regularly, esp. if you are noticing hair loss, tiredness, or other unusual symptoms. I will continue to see this hematologist yearly, simply because I want to keep my hair, of course, but I want to feel good and be healthy, too. 

Anyway, just wanted to share with y'all, as several of you answered my initial request for advice, and I really did appreciate it!

smiley Steph

Extended tummy tuck/hernia repair on July 28, 2008! Five pounds of skin removed!
Be miserable. Or motivate yourself.  Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. ~W.D

Weight at surgery on July 26, 2006: 304 lbs
Lowest weight: 147 (157 pounds lost!)
Regain over the past 2 years (2012-2014) - 59 pounds
REBOOTING! :) Working on losing back down to 160 (beginning Jan. 18, 2015)

Valerie G.
on 10/27/12 10:10 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Fantastic advice!  I'm very happy that you found the source of your problems.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Dawn
on 10/28/12 1:51 am - Salem, IL

Had you not been taking B12 injections monthly? I take mine twice monthly.

datorres
on 10/28/12 4:09 am

This past Spring my PCP also found that my Ferritin was at a 7, she immediately ordered me to have 8 infusions once a week for an hour. You wouldn't believe the difference it made! I had been so depressed and prescribed atleast 5 different anti -depressant meds, I was so tired and all I wanted to do was sleep, I could barely get my kids off to school. I feel so much better and have alot more energy! My hair never did fall out though. Just goes to show that we really need to be  diligent to ourselves in taking our vitamins. I'm glad your doing better.

Most Active