X-Post: Weighing, Measuring, and planning...advice please!!

D. Scott
on 12/15/12 6:53 am
RNY with

So I am having a difficult time figuring out how much I should eat and when at this point. Unlike many other VSGers I do still have real hunger but when I can get denser meals in like chili, or egg salad (still in the soft foods stage) I notice my hunger is kept at bay much longer. My problem right now is that I am eating very little but finding I sometimes eat too much. By too much I mean I feel slightly full after eating but sometimes within 5-10 minutes I start to feel a little nauseous. I know I need to start weighing and measuring food but I don't even know what I should be eating right now. My plan initially said 1-3 oz eventually expanding to 6-8 oz with in the first year. I think I am eating around 2oz (might be a bit more when I start feeling sick) but if its something like cottage cheese or a protein shake I am really hungry again in an hour or so. I am thinking it will get better next week when I am eating denser proteins but I want to start planning a little better to minimize feeling nauseous.

Also I am currently eating about 4 meals a day as I get up at 4 am for work. I try to eat a small amount of oatmeal to start the day, soup or a protein shake for lunch (my lunch at work is 9 am), something dense in the after noon around 2 pm when I get off like an egg (though I cant eat a whole egg), then dinner (something like beans or chili). Honestly reading this it sounds more organized then it is and I feel like I am screwing up by not planning and weighing.

Can you please share your typical menu for the day including approx. ounces (if you recall will you share your typical day when you were in your early months, I can have full foods starting next week so you dont have to take into consideration soft foods).

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

Valerie G.
on 12/15/12 8:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Since you're eating so little, eating a little more an hour later is okay if you make good food choices.  Chili may be difficult with the ground beef at first.  It took e several months before I could tolerate ground beef, as weird as that sounds.  

For preventing that over-full feeling, pay attention to possible signals your body may be giving you.  For me, it's hiccups and/or drippy nose.  This is my signal that my stomach is just about full and that I need to stop.

Only one or two bites make a world of difference between satisfied, full, and OMG I want to die, so revoke your membership to the clean plate club....those children in China weren't really going to be affected whether or not you ate all of your food.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

shoutjoy
on 12/15/12 9:45 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hello,

It sounds like you are trying to be very wise in your food choices.  Yes, more dense foods will make you feel fuller longer.  Fruits and veggies, if you can tolerate them, are excellent fillers when you feel hungry between meals.  Adding a little protein or healthy fats, like nuts, again if you can tolerate them, is also good for between meals.

As far as over eating, eating slowly and chewing well will help you feel the signals your body tells  you when you have had enough.  I have a bad habit of eating while watching TV and I am preoccupied and I don't always catch those signals.  So I have to purposely be more mindful about what and how fast I eat.

Making a food journal is another way to see how you are doing.  Seeing is believing. This also makes you more accountable to yourself when writing it down. 

Hang in there!

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Most Active