Has anyone experienced stomach pain on Biotin?

katikati
on 1/24/13 11:42 am - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

I decided to go ahead and start taking Biotin now instead of waiting until after my surgery.  I lose an excess amount of hair already, and I read that others had done this.  My hair fine and curly, and used to be excessively thick, but over the last five years it has thinned and thinned.  I don't have bald patches and you can't see my scalp through my hair, but I'm so afraid if I lose much more after surgery that it will get like that.

I bought a brand called Natrol from Amazon, as it had many positive reviews.  It has an extremely high dosage of 10,000 mcg.  I took my first pill tonight, and about ten minutes after I took it I began to get a rapidly increasing pain right in my stomach under my breasts.  It spread quickly up my chest and to my upper back.  It felt very similar to a gallbladder attack, but was more closed to my center, maybe slightly to the left.  I also heard my upper abdomen make some weird kind sounds.  Those sounds are the only things that kept from me wondering for a few minutes if I was having a heart attack or something.  After about ten more minutes it passed.  I was also lightheaded, dizzy, and felt slightly out of it for just a few minutes.

I Googled it, and this does appear to be a suspected side effect of Biotin, but not quite a matter of fact.  It says to take it with food, and I nearly forgot to take it after dinner, so it was probably 10 or 20 minutes later.  I'm just wondering, has anyone else experienced this with Biotin?  The feeling has completely passed now and I feel fine.  I've never been a vitamin taker, so maybe it was a shock to my stomach to have such a concentrated amount of something new.

Also, this reminds me of another question.  Do protein shakes count as "food" when a prescription says to take it with food?  This has to occurred to me until just now, and I do have a couple of medications that need to be taken with food because they can upset my stomach otherwise.

Tri_harder
on 1/24/13 8:11 pm

I have PCOS so I had thin hair before surgery.  PCOS also causes weight gain (constant struggle), infertility (needed fertility meds to have kids) and facial hair (had electrolysis and lazor).  Hormones are out of balance (increased libido). 

I take biotin with no side effects and not necessarily with food.  I am grateful my hair didn't thin after surgery.  I would think that a protein shake would be food. 

Tri

AnniesSS
on 1/25/13 5:48 am
RNY on 09/11/12

I took Biotin for almost 2 months with no problems.  I started losing my hair about 2 months after surgery, but I don't see a difference.

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

lil1inside
on 2/6/13 11:02 am
VSG on 07/10/13

Biotin gives me increased headaches and I have no time for those since I'm a migraine sufferer any way.  I definitely knew it was the Biotin and I guess I'll just go bald!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

Austinbucket1
on 10/20/18 10:16 am

I took Biotin 5000 with food and still have the very same pain that you describe. I will not be taking this supplement again. The pain is horrendous.

SA, Austin

Most Active