OT: for parents of kids with ADHD

johns-wife
on 2/10/13 6:53 am

My child was just prescribed medicine for her ADHD and took it for the first time today. She is studying and paying attention and actually doing her homework; it's surreal.

But why do I feel so upset about this? She is not being herself at all. She is focused and studying - just like I wanted her to. But, she is being quiet and is so serious. I just don't feel comfortable at all. 

Has anyone else dealt with this? Any advice?

Melissa Nicely
on 2/10/13 7:53 am - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

I felt the same way when I put my son on his ADHD meds. I got a lot of questions from my family as well for putting him on them, they told me that he wasn't the same kid. There is one simple fact that made me keep him on them. He went from being almost kicked out of school because he was behaving so badly and making horrible grade to actually making the honor roll. You will come to get use to having her on meds. I can tell if my son misses one day of his meds and so can his teacher. Oh and depending on what she is on don't be surprised if she has days where she is really sleepy and tired, my son cycles like that but if it last for more then a day or two you might want to call her Dr.

johns-wife
on 2/10/13 8:05 am

Thanks - I needed to hear that.

VSG on 06/12/13
The first time my son took his meds, I kept feeling for fever and asking if he was ok, because he was quiet and still like he is when sick. He did not understand what I was talking about. On his first day back to school, he realized he wasn't fidgeting anymore. Then he understood what I saw. I cried that day.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

erikalea1970
on 2/10/13 9:23 pm - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12

It's a very emotional decision to make, and I was terrified that my son would become "someone else" and lose his spark and creativity.  It's been 4 years, and he is a confident HS Freshman who has all the spark he did before, he's just able to control his impulses in school now.  The final thing that convinced me to come on board with meds was when he came home from school and said "I feel like the worst kid in 5th grade."  And this was an A/B student...but his talking constantly interrupted the teachers and the other kids were ostracizing him.  He is now in a great circle of musician/theater friends, and the teachers love his appropriate input into class discussions.  It still all scares me sometimes, but seeing him happy and successful in school keeps my faith for now.

Good luck, and be aware that there is an adjustment period with likely emotional outbursts (nightly tears at about 5pm was our big one for a while - can't remember how long) but that does resolve, just keep in touch with your doctor if you're not sure if something is okay.

"Failure is not an option" - Apollo 13   

VSG on 06/12/13
Our pediatrician recommended that we decrease carbs and increase protein to ease the nightly transition, and it helped.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 2/11/13 6:06 am

My grandson had that. He went on the meds and although it took a week or so to work he was too quiet - if that's possible-but he has had his meds adjusted (the dosage) and now they've found the right amount for him. He's calm and able to focus and follow directions, but not too lethargic. I applaud you for getting her on medication and doing what you have to do to help her. My grandson says school is fun now and he doesn't have that constant buzzing in his head that he had to always talk over before.

He's happier and it's made it more relaxed for everybody. He's feeling better at preschool cause they don't tease him for being "hyper" anymore (the other kids) and he is able to keep up with assignments and fit in. Check with your doc as to lowering the dosage to see if that still gets the optimum effects you want without making her too quiet. It may take a while but once they get the right dose it's great for everybody.

Jen 11 yrs post op RNY

notyouraveragerachel
on 2/11/13 3:27 pm - OK
My family was pressured for years to medicate my baby brother. So much so that they went to the doctor numerous times just to make sure there was nothing more they could do, but his doctor always refused time medicate him just because he was different than everybody else's cookie cutter kids. He's 16 now, still very different, outgoing, crazy, trouble making at times. But I have never met someone as passionate as him in my life. His creativity and drive are irreplaceable. Exceptionally brilliant, yet just an average student. Extremely talented musically, as he plays piano, guitar and drums. And he is now in a locally successful band, which he writes all of the music for. I said all that to say, my parents knew that sacrificing his talents for a calmer, complaint, studious child, just wasn't worth it. My mother took he'll for years, and still does occasionally because she won't just "fix" him. HOWEVER they did get to a point where doing nothing just wasn't going to work anymore. They sought out help from professionals and altered his diet. The main thing they did was give him unsweetened tea, diet soda, or coffee without sugar. For children with hyperactivity disorders, unsweetened caffeine can work wonders. Now that he's older, he can verbalize the difference caffeine makes for him.
Now that I'm a mom, with a daughter that falls in the borderline category for adhd, we use the caffeine trick. And limited all processed food for our kids. The only eat fruit for their sweet fixes, lots of protein, limited simple carbs, and loads of water. People always ask how my kids are so well behaved when we're out at dinner, and I always tell them that they genuinely love good food. So much so that my 4 year old wants to marry Gordon Ramsey lol.
Sorry to ramble so much. I know that choosing to medicate is never an easy decision. And always a personal one. But if you could stand to try the diet soda/black coffee thing for a few days, you might give it a shot! Good luck with the whole process! And God bless you for caring about your child so much! Go mom!
tina.k
on 2/11/13 4:02 pm - Taylorsville, KY
When my son was little I thought he needed help, but was so afraid to out him in medication. We tried everything else and it didn't work. Now he is grown and wont even hear about it. And, he still has the same issues! How I wish to goodness I had Bern more proactive. One thing I see is students being on meds without behavior modification training. They really need both-the meds are only a tool, nd we need a complete set of tools.
Most Active