does medicare pay for sleeve yet?

diane S.
on 7/24/13 2:58 am

does anybody know the answer to this? I am an old timer sleever and it used to not but wonder if it has changed.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Hislady
on 7/24/13 5:42 am - Vancouver, WA

In general it was OK'd last summer but it also depends on what area you are in. Evidently it varies from state to state for some reason. My state does cover it yet others nearby don't. At one point I had a graph that showed which ones do but of course can't find it now! So I guess a person would have to contact their local medicare office to find out for sure.

poet_kelly
on 7/24/13 5:55 am - OH

Medicare is a federal program so it shouldn't vary from state to state.  Medicaid is a state-run program, though, and their coverage and rules do vary from state to state.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MsBatt
on 7/24/13 7:57 am
On July 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

Medicare is a federal program so it shouldn't vary from state to state.  Medicaid is a state-run program, though, and their coverage and rules do vary from state to state.

You're right, it shouldn't---but it does. In the case of the Sleeve, it has to do with what entity administers the Medicare program in your area.

lena F.
on 7/24/13 11:27 am
VSG on 01/07/13
It does in some states. Im in NY and it covered mine.

lena F.
on 7/24/13 11:28 am
VSG on 01/07/13
Medicare is ran by different contractors in different regions. Most surgeons can tell you whether they accept it or not.

wkeener
on 7/25/13 12:59 am - TX

You bet it does all of it for me !  I had my on June 12th and they paid their 80% and my other ins finished the rest just make sure you do have a Dr that takes medicare .

Alese M.
on 7/26/13 6:51 am - FL

I live in Florida and FINALLY the sleeve was approved.  VSG set for July 30, 3013...Hooray!

It did take a year from when I heard about the sleeve being approved to reaching my state. 

Good Luck...Go for it...

alese in FL

Most Active