Why you can't treat an RNY like a DS ( its actually a GOOD thing ! )

RainbowRN
on 8/17/13 4:22 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13
As a fellow RNY girl I completely agree with Kim.

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

MsBatt
on 8/18/13 2:43 pm
On August 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM Pacific Time, Sin Kim wrote:

I know you DS'ers are getting butt hurt about this, but not only is it a gross misrepresentation of the DS, it's nowhere near accurate for the RNY either ...

A real case of buyer beware for anyone reading this thread!

LOL! *I'm* certainly not getting butt-hurt---whenever she posts, I consider the source. And I hear Ozzie Osborne singing 'Crazy Train'. (*grin*)

illinois Gama D.
on 8/20/13 10:53 am

LMAO< LOVE!!!!!!

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/13 3:37 am
On August 17, 2013 at 5:30 AM Pacific Time, meeow2 wrote:

I often get asked the question  why I like my RNY ( as opposed to taking the sleeve/ DS track) . The reason is accountability which  I believe may eventually lead to a longer healthier life .  

Traditionally RNY patients have been lighter and more active .. so the long term  statistics for the two surgeries are necessarily somewhat skewed .  

Still its a given  that DS patients have to take 40 or more pills vitamin per day to stay healthy in several batches whereas RNY patients  like myself can just basically chew  kids Flintstones gummies , a few calcium gummies ... and eat a healthy diet and maintain outstanding labs .

I know this to be possible  because I have done it for five years post op and my labs , health and energy levels are GREAT . I actually tried higher level supplementation and my body basically put a stop to it by being revolted by the vitamins .  The only extra vitamins I occasionally take are multi- iron pills  and flaxseed oil / evening primrose oil capsules .   

It does make me sad to see many people struggle here with regain .... when we've been given  an OUTSTANDING tool that both malabsorbs a small amount of fat , restricts  the volume of  how much we can eat and also maintains  our health .  

Many of us ( like myself ) had even DIABETES  , GERD , High blood pressure RESOLVED through our RNYS .

Its super important I think to stay pain-free post op which means moving ... and which also helps with the absorption of vitamins from the foods we eat and supplements .  Moving  helps the skin bounce back too ... and i've seen the most BEAUTIFUL amazing results of whole-body weight loss in RNY patients here .

To me the lifetime 30% fat malabsorption just gives me a bit of flexibility when eating out ... but its NEVER an excuse to justify fatty old eating habits or non-lowfat (or choosing fat free )options at home . 

As long as i respect the limitations of my surgery .. I find I can stay TOTALLY at goal and feel successful everyday ( at least I have for the last 5 years  )   I don't stretch my pouch out by eating extra bites till I sniffle ... I don't drink with my meals but rather just before them and thirty minutes after I eat ... and most importantly I choose high fiber," healthy" and" lowfat" meal options every time I can.  I grow much of my own food actually mail

Frankly that's WHY I chose the RNY - in order to  be Able to eat salad and veggies  and because I NEVER ate a lb of bacon at a meal in my LIFE and my dream wasn't to eat whatever I wanted but rather to resolve my diabetes , remain forever slim without dieting and be HEALTHY  in a common -sense way through eating right and exercise . ... 

what do YOU think based on YOUR experience post op ?  what works for YOU ?  ((((()))))

You know, a little education on the various WLS types (including your own) won't hurt.  Honest.

There is so much misinformation here that it's hard to know which to focus on without writing a book.

Accountability does not take being sick and dumping.  Some of us are adults and hold ourselves accountable.

Traditionally bypass has a great deal of regain, not lighter as you claim.

In what world do most DSers need 40 vites a day?  Seriously, education is not the horror you believe.

Flinstones?  Do you really hate your fellow bypass folks so much that you would try to do harm to them?  Flinstones are for children, are you a child?  Flinstones have the wrong Vit A for bypassers.

I have a sleeve, no vites at all!  Just a good quality diet and I don't have to do half the crap you do.  No vites, no routine vitamin labs (they have been fine for 5 years, I am pretty well good to go).  I don't have to punish myself by dumping... and you think bypass is the best.  BWAHAHAHA

Hate to bust your bubble but bypass puts diabetics in remission, 1/3 get their diabetes back regardless of regain or no regain.  Check out 10 years stats, cutie!  DS is a cure, bypass puts you in short term remission.

Exercise does nothing for damaged skin.  Maybe in your world but not reality.

You really need to stop posting nonsense, a newbie might believe you.  Let's provide truth and not fantasy.

Mo Diggity
on 8/17/13 5:01 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

I had RNY about 6 wks ago, and I thought the Flinstone comment was a bit strange since everyone I've ever heard discussing them advises against them :/

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/19/13 12:44 am

The OP - is "not all there" or is is a troll trying to stir stuff.. she if on again - off again... 

She can do what she wants - but saying things like that - and someone new would try to follow her advice.. or boy.. really scary.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

A. Kondrlik
on 8/17/13 4:16 am
VSG on 01/24/13

Look at some of the other postings the OP has made lately.

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/13 8:25 am
On August 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM Pacific Time, A. Kondrlik wrote:

Look at some of the other postings the OP has made lately.

Oh my... You have a point there.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/17/13 5:02 am

So many issues with this post, but one that I'll address is that gummies are not enough for almost any RNY person. Some important vitamins happen to taste like butt, and don't get put into any type of chewable vitamin for that reason.

For anyone with RNY or DS that thinks they are getting enough with the gummy vites, you need to:

1 - Get a full set of labs. If they have drawn less than 20+ vials of blood, then it was NOT a complete set of labs. Then get your OWN copy of the results.

2 - Learn to read the lab results. Compare to previous lab results, and watch for trends. The doctors office only calls when something is so out of range it gets flagged by the lab, and it can be very difficult to recover from deficiencies once they are that out of range.

3 - Get a dexa scan when you are pre-op, then regularly post op, and compare. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/13 9:04 am, edited 8/20/13 7:47 am

You DO know that up to this latest pill=popping generation EVERYONE got their vites from FOOD  right ?

Most Active