Why you can't treat an RNY like a DS ( its actually a GOOD thing ! )

MsBatt
on 8/18/13 2:49 pm
On August 18, 2013 at 4:04 PM Pacific Time, meeow2 wrote:

You DO know that up tothis latest pill=popping generation EVERYONE got their vites from FOOD  right ?

And a lot of people had both diagnosed and  undiagnosed vitamin deficiencies. Those *****fuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/19/13 2:28 pm

You DO know that people with RNY (that would be you) malabsorb nutrients for life, even is they lose most caloric malabsorption, right??

And I don't believe for one minute that your surgeon recommends Flintstone gummies long term, which is why you don't ever name him/her. I'm sure you'd hear from them if they knew you were spreading such nonsense in their name.

martitalinda
on 8/17/13 6:26 am

My beautiful sista, while you are entitled to your opinion I am of the mindset that if I had to pursue surgery today I would most definitely have the DS as the best surgery to address my issues.  While being totally successful with the RNY as the best option for me 6 years ago when I was only presented with two options TODAY I would DEFINITELY opt for the DS if I were at the start of my journey or in need of a revision.

Back in January I had an awesome meet and greet and meal in New York City with Diana and her husband and Susan and we had the most pleasant and amenable reunion.  Dinner at Guantanamera Cuban Restaurant was superb ... three surgery types sat at that table along with one who had no surgery at all.  Over a wonderful meal no one could tell who had what or which was better than what... we were three awesome women living wonderful lives post weight loss surgery ... we all looked and felt awesome not one better than the other . ... we ALL enjoyed our meals ... none of us ladies could finish or even put a dent in our meals enjoying perfect restriction post WLS unlike the handsome spouse of our friend who is perfectly toned and had no surgery and finished his meal.

At the end of the day we had a wonderful reunion, we ate what we wanted and enjoyed the atmosphere and the company like normal people do without dwelling on surgical constraints or limitations or comparisons... we were enjoying company, camaraderie and conversation over an awesome cuisine.  Having had the surgery and knowing our bodies we knew what and how to order and how to enjoy a good meal ... oh and the mojitos were superb!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

VintageChick
on 8/17/13 9:14 am
Love this post. Surgery wars are so 'junior high'.

For MY body and MY co-morbs, RNY beat both VSG and DS. But, like you have experienced, I'd like to think I could sit down and have a meal with people who've had other surgeries and find companionship, not competition. We've all been given a gift to help us manage the obesity beast, and will all hopefully live longer, healthier lives because of it.

lap RNY 5-15-13

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/13 6:34 am, edited 8/17/13 6:52 am

I do get that kind of detailed labs ( and yes it SEEMS like they take ten vials of blood lol !  Vampires ! ) .. I have always asked for and checked my results against the most detailed labs here because optimal health means EVERYTHING to me .

I can't help that what works optimally for me may not be enough for everyone here -everyone's body is different .

But there are way too many post  WLS patients of EVERY type who take NO vites at all  because they are so intimidated by  the expense and complicated nature of say  a vitalady type regime.  

Its GREAT  to know she's there though and an expert if things get out of whack for any reason , don't get me wrong .

But even the chewable stuff is far better than NOTHING and in my case , given an EXCELLENT , largely homegrown  backyard-to the pot  organic  mostly vegetarian diet .. it IS  ENOUGH for now .  

What would you like me to do , lie ?  My original post was much more about FAT content and rational "healthy " eating a than anything else actually ... its not like I have stock in Flintstones ... 

I also agree with Ms. MartaLinda that the various surgeries are more similar than not in effect and eventually the body's adaptation results in their probably being more or less the same thing ... 

What I was actually trying to say with this post is that if you have an RNY and eat fat with abandon like a forever malabsorbing DS er  you may regain after the honeymoon period is over .

I originally CHOSE RNY because I always ate healthy ( just too much ) and wanted a limited amount of malabsorption  so I could continue to get a large portion of my vitamins from my organic and largely homegrown food ... I think in that sense this surgery worked PERFECTLY .

It DID take me a while to figure out HOW  I could make it keep working for me after the honeymoon period WITHOUT regain ... thats exactly why I'm posting here- so other RNYers  with metabolisms and food preferences like mine don't have to reinvent that wheel thru trial and error ...

(((()))) Peace and love to All ..

Julie R.
on 8/17/13 7:39 am - Ludington, MI

Don't get me wrong.  I am THRILLED beyond belief that your Flintstones, low fat, and backyard vegetables all work out so marvelously for you.  However, your post wasn't "just about how bad fat is for RNY'ers," and it contained incredibly damaging misinformation in regard to two different surgeries.   And no, "the body's adaptation results in their probaby being more or less the same thing," is way, way, WAY out there in the stratosphere in its inaccuracy.   I'm not sure how deeper you are planning to dig this hole for yourself, but you might just want to quit before you make it all the way to China.

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/13 8:20 am, edited 8/17/13 8:38 am

Responsibly  I  CAN only speak about what actually works for me and though you make  lowfat food choices , and Flintstones chewable vitamins sound like dirty words they are EXACTLY  what my surgeon  recommends for  ALL his post op patients  .

I think  most people who post here are more than averagely successful and we all  passionately want to help everyone else not regain and stay healthy ... 

There are MANY ways to do that .  My post was really about taking vites however you CAN .. and eating less fat and more fresh food to minimize regain post RNY .  

I DO think RNY sometimes gets maligned simply because people never learn to optimize that tool .. it took me a while to figure  out what works myself  and I'm sharing what I learned from others and thru trial and error ... 

I do think its misinformation too to have an all-or-nothing attitude about vitamins .  Realistically not everyone can afford or wants to do an extensive Vitamin regimen especially immediately post op .  In my case , large amounts of vitamins made me feel SICK devil and my labs proved massive amounts of vitamin supplementation  to be entirely unnecessary for me .. at least for now .

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/17/13 12:04 pm

Actually, I said at least 20 vials of blood, so it doesn't sound like you are getting them all by a long shot. This is going off Vitaladys list, which is the best I've seen.

The least I've ever had drawn for an annual was 17, and that was only because they said they could draw enough in several of the vials to do 2 different tests with them, but that isn't the norm.

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/13 8:58 pm

Like U I asked them to please draw out a little less than a QUART lol .. seemed to me too that they could be a little more efficient by either drawing LESS blood per huge vial for each test ... or using smaller vials .. or doing two tests per vial.  

Is kind of OBVIOUS  .. this is a HOSPITAL where they test ( and treat )  FRAIL people ... they can't suck the very LIFE  out of them in the name of checking / improving their HEALTH lol 

MsBatt
on 8/18/13 2:46 pm

( and yes it SEEMS like they take ten vials of blood lol !  Vampires ! )

I don't care what it 'seems' like, if they're not 'actually' taking about 20 vials, you're NOT getting everything tested that you really should.

Most Active