Having trouble loosing the weight needed for insurance approval

mama_of_two
on 9/3/13 2:24 am - UT

Hi, I have been trying to loose 30 lbs in a 6 month time peroid so that I can be approved by my insurance and I am loosing weight but just not fast enough. 

Any ideas?

withHishelp
on 9/3/13 2:30 am

Have you tried eating Medifast? I bet that would help.

Tracy D.
on 9/3/13 2:31 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I don't have any great ideas for you because I only had to lose 10 lb. and that was my surgeon's request, not the insurance company.  Hoping that other people jump on here and help you with that piece.

But I will *****and-moan with you about insurance company requirements to "lose weight" to qualify for surgery.   Are they kidding?  Seriously, if we could have lost a lot of weight BEFORE then we wouldn't need the surgery!  Their stupid rules just make me want to scream...

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Maxine1234
on 9/3/13 2:49 am

Especially an ungodly amount like 20-30 lbs. I have never been able to that. I too am working on 10%, I have lost and gained the same 3 lbs in the last 3 weeks. Although the scale did say -4 today. I am not holding out hope for tomorrow.

I try eating lots of low fat protein, fruit and veggies and drink lots of water. Just when you think you are about to drown from drinking so much water. Have some more.

Best of luck to you.

Heather_Austin
on 9/3/13 5:04 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Try using www.myfitnesspal.com (it's free and a lot of people on here use it) to log everything you eat and drink.  Be sure to measure everything first.  If you just type in the food on the website (you can also scan with your phone if capable), then the website will calculate calories, protein, carbs, fat, etc.  You can view or print daily and weekly summaries of the data. 

Also, by logging in your food choices, you can be sure you really are sticking with the plan.  If you are sticking to it completely and not loosing weight, you can give the data to your nutritionist.  At the very least, you have something to show the insurance company at the end of the 6 months.

I've been using this since surgery last Monday to be sure I get in 80g protein a day and will continue to use it from now on.  I used WW on-line tracking years ago, but this is much easier and has a much larger database.

Heather - Austin, TX

Valerie G.
on 9/3/13 7:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I feel for you.  It took me 18 mos to lose just 23 lbs on weigh****chers.  That was one of my last efforts before I admitted defeat and started learning more about wls options. The only way I can think of to really do this is full liquids like medifast or something.  It's gonna suck.  Are you sure the loss is essential, or just the monitored attempt?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sonya139
on 9/3/13 8:19 am - VA

I agree with using MyFitnessPal and maybe see a dietician. I don't have to lose for my insurance thank God!!

Laura in Texas
on 9/4/13 1:27 am

My opinion is to play the game to lose the weight. Drink 3 protein shakes a day and a sensible meal. Do not worry about good habits now. The amount of weight you lose pre-op in no way determines your post-op success. I am a prime example of that (lost nothing in my 6 month diet but have maintained my 200 pounds loss the last 4 years)

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1480 views