Any food I try once I can't eat it again, I feel grossed up Gastric bypass 8/28/13

Linda_S
on 9/29/13 3:30 am - Eugene, OR

You might try putting your protein shakes in a travel mug and trying to drink them that way.  I found, a few months out from surgery, that I just couldn't stand the smell - that was what made them so hard to choke down.

My surgery was six years ago and yes, food is now fuel.  It's not really a pleasure any more.  I've had a few metabolic complications along the way, so I'm basically restricted to protein and greens.  I just kind of try to get a variety of nutrients, even though a lot of mine have to come through supplements.

Keep trying to get the fuel in.  You do need it!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

gracertx
on 9/29/13 10:27 am - TX

Thanks Linda...yes seeing food as fuel is a total change of  life...I was never told at any of the pre-op meetings and I find that pretty bad. It can definitely cause some kind of shock....like in my case I thought something was wrong with me.

Now all of the reading online makes me see this is a  change due to surgery. I truly think it is a miracle. I used to love to eat and eat to feel good. Now I have to eat to live and that is it. Thanks to this GB surgery I see why I was fat....I loved and enjoyed every bite I took. Now almost like I was chewing on plastic.

Also on protein maybe there is something I hate about it...I will put in a container...I hope it helps I HATE IT.....looking at the boxes of protein shakes makes me dread taking them. I will also try the one with chicken flavor some lady referred to me.

I am looking forward to my Oct. 2nd appt. I will discuss with doctor or nutritionist about my doubts and issues with the water and protein.

Linda_S
on 9/29/13 11:27 am - Eugene, OR

Things will shift and change as you go.  I loved the protein shakes before I had surgery.  Afterwards, they made me gag.  I drank them from a travel mug until I could eat more solid food.  Then I wearned myself off them.  I had a shake for breakfast a few weeks ago, and I actually thought it was delicious!  No more gagging on them, no more unpleasant smell, no aversion whatsoever!

You may get to the point where you find you like certain things again and can get by with them.  I do well with soup, but of course, there's no potatoes, no carrots, no rice, no pasta in there.  I find if I make chicken or turkey and then roast a bunch of veggies in the oven and add it to the broth it tastes really good.  Not enough to make you want to eat a bunch of it out of control, but enough to make you accept it as nutrition for your body!  ;D

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

TurnThePage
on 9/29/13 2:47 pm

It also helps to have the protein shakes really, really cold. I use a good insulated mug and throw in some ice as well.  You can mix your morning shake before bedtime and put it in the fridge so it's good and cold in the morning. 

Foundmymojo
on 9/29/13 3:24 pm
On September 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM Pacific Time, gracertx wrote:

I find this alarming. At first I thought it was great but now there is not one single food I feel like eating. All of them make me feel YUK. Is this happening to anyone? I have lost around 30-32 lbs in 31 days....but I am scared I will get sick. I take my supplements but I can't swallow those protein shakes, they get stuck in my throat.

I had to go back to ER 2 days ago due to sharp excruciating on lower right back...I can't grade the pain but from 1-10. I pick 11. It was really bad. ER tested blood and urine all clear. Just gave me some potassium via oral.

Any idea  if what I am encountering is common??? thanks for your input

Grace

Totally,..I can totally relate. Been exactly where you are. I couldn't find anyone who experienced what you've described which left me scared and freaked out. Hang on, it will get better. At a little over a year and a half out now, things have changed for the better. You WILL get your taste back. You WILL tolerate almost any food again. You WILL enjoy eating again as we humans were meant to. 

Keep up, best you can in these first months with your fluid intake, stay on track with your vitamins, find something that does not make you want to vomit,...it can and probably will bore you,..but do it anyway. I found that cottage cheese was my best friend for the first several months. Loaded with protein, easy on the stomach, never made me feel sick to my stomach. Keep looking for those high protein foods that you can "stomach". 

You will be ok,....it is tough these first few months,...but I promise,...you will be ok. 

gracertx
on 9/30/13 12:44 pm - TX

Thanks foundmymojo. Encouraging message Maybe this is what help us lose so much weight in the early post op....I will look for that magic food. I use to kill for cheese. I noticed dairy doesn't fit me well now. OH well....What I love is the sugar free popsicles but those are jus****er with color nothing more but I least I can enjoy them.

Have a great evening

Frantom
on 10/1/13 4:55 am

I didn't read through all the responses - but this was what I encountered (I have the sleeve)-

I still will get some back/side pain if I don't drink enough water/liquids over a two day period - gotta keep drinking.  Not as much as recommended - but when I have that pain, and I think back, I'll remember I missed my afternoon liquids.

Also - the first couple of months after surgery EVERY thing tasted: too sweet, too salty, too hot, too cold, too creamy , too rich, etc. etc.

It took a while (ie several months) for my taste buds to settle down.  If you don't like the protein shakes (and it took me more months to find one I like ((Kellogg's Special K chocolate ) - find other high protein foods you like (I grew to love string cheese...but you know, after the first year, now I prefer other cheeses), or egg whites (from boiled eggs - or less filling in deviled eggs).  Try tofu (tossed with soy sauce and corn starch then fried) is a good source too.  I felt that it evened out to have something fried, if it helped get the protein in.